new gasser

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
well, i threw in the towel and got me a new red q220. price was 169.00 . nothing to talk about but i just can't see anything around my area on cl at all and if they do show the prices are rediculouse. forget ebay, even worse and no sales at all around my area to speak of. i prefer charcoal but there have been a few times that i coulda used a gasser for a quick late cook. now i got to go back and read up on everything on the q. any quick heads up or tricks on the thing ? thanks,

George
Do a search on my posts and you will find no end of useful info on the Q series including the set up for indirect.

If you have any specific questions fire away.

Regards

phil. i had been reading some of yer posts previousely to purchasing it. yer posts were the #1 reason that i decided on it rather than a bigger unit. i'm now going over all the q posts and taking notes. thanks so much for your contributions here !

I came to this forum to get advise as I was intent on buying a 620. Thanks to reading a bunch of threads here and asking Mr. Hartcher many questions directly, I decided a Q220 would be my best choice for my needs (and save a bunch of money to boot!). The price you paid was dirt cheap, I've never seen one even close to that price.

Be sure to download the recipes that Mr. Hartcher can send you (if you ask him). They will make your Q grilling easier and tastier. In fact, last night I did a variation of his Salmon for several guests and it was a huge hit. I made two different kinds of Salmon. One kind (with a mustard and mayo sauce covered with Italian bread crumbs) was placed on a cedar plank in the middle of the grill. Then, the second, a more traditional kind with lemon and dill mostly, surrounded the plank.

The bread crumb fish went on first when the plank was smoking really well, then the other fillets all around the plank directly on the grill about 10 minutes later. The smoke flavor not only seasoned the fish on the plank itself but the other fish as well.

The secret is to get the plank smoking with higher heat than you would do the fish directly on the grates. Then, by the time you put on the other fish, the temp will cool quickly. You put the control nob just two notches from off and it keeps at 375 degrees. Don't flip the planked fish but do flip the surrounding fish after five minutes and cook for five or ten minutes more.

Anyway, just a little idea to give you so that you can understand how versatile this little grill can be.

I thank you both for your kind words. I get a lot of pleasure from helping others and passing on information based on my experience. I love demonstrating for Weber of a Saturday, I start this season on 11 October and can't wait.

Marty, I loved how you combined the plank and the grilling, great hint.

Regards

Back