Painting a Q320 Lid

Pat Smith

TVWBB Wizard
Has anybody here ever tried - successfully or unsuccessfully - to paint a Q lid?

I recently bought a Q320 off of Craigslist in Huntsville. My brother picked it up and stored it for me until he made a trip this way in his truck. He delivered the grill last week and it was filthy to say the least. I spent a while yesterday cleaning it up and try though I might - including a brass brush on my Dewalt cordless drill - I could NOT get the smoke stain off of an area on the right side of the grill about 1/3rd of the area of the grill dome.

I was wondering if I might be able to paint the lid using the same technique I used with the tamale pot mid-section of my WSM Mini: clean with degreaser, paint with three coats of matte finish high-temperature grill paint, then follow up with two coats of semi-gloss black grill paint.

I think a black Q320 would look awesome, but don't want to create a mess that can only be fixed by calling Weber and ordering another grill dome!

Thanks,

Pat

we kinda discussed this in my red q discussion but nothing came of it. i think someone was gonna paint their lid but nothing further came of it. i know on my red q the paint when hot was soft. they did send me a new lid but i'll keep that boxed until things get worse. i don't see repainting it with high temp paint can be any worse than what is on it. for sure though i would strip off the old stuff. probably use a high temp primer first. for sure use the 1200 deg temp stuff.

I was the person who was painting the lid. I originally painted it with high heat black over the existing paint and the paint bubbled off after several cooks. I then sanded down the entire lid to bare aluminum and repainted it with high heat rustoleum in an ivory color and it has held up very nicely. So it's a little work but sanding the lid down worked great for me.

Al, Kirk and George - thank you for the replies. Kirk, I think that your approach probably is the way to go. Kirk, do you think that the powder coat would stand up to grilling temperatures of 500 degrees? I know of folks who had their WSM's powder coated, but those temps are considerably lower.

I cooked on the Q320 tonight and after about 10 minutes of pre-heating, the temp on the lid thermometer was 550. I backed it down to 450 for the chuck eyes I was grilling.

George - if you will send me an email with your mailing address, I have that G/A charcoal grill ready to ship to you!

Pat

I myself would either sand it down or have it bead blasted, If you have a shop in the area they now do blasting with bakeing soda...Yes you can have a high heat powder coating done also,,I have a freind who has his exaust pipe's powder coated on his Harley's.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Kirk, do you think that the powder coat would stand up to grilling temperatures of 500 degrees? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Make sure they understand you want High Temp powder coat. It will go to 1000 degrees. Most places that do powder coating will also sand/bead blast it for you.

Kirk

The Q300 series will get to a ld temp of 650C . Must be High Temp powder-coating. Must be sand blasted clean and then aluminium must be treated with an alodine or similar treatment - the powder coater should know what to use. As the lid is cast it is porous to a certain extent.

Cheers

Thank you Phil - I decided to break down and buy a new lid from Weber. When it arrived, it was scratched and had a couple of paint bubbles. Another call to Weber got me a replacement ASAP.

I may make the original lid my winter-time project but for now, I am up and cooking on my "newish" Q320 and couldn't be happier!

Pat

Back