whoops

Dan H.

TVWBB Pro
was somewhat getting ready for dinner last night and got distracted outside. I put Olive Oil in a stainless skillet and def. didn't remember turning the burner on but ended up finding a new flock of weeds growing and started pluckin em when I was on a smoke break, lol. well when I finally went in it was bad.. i'll leave it at that. what im left w/ is a brown stained skillet that seems semi-permanent. I've soaked it all last night and today and took the magic eraser to it both nights as well. About half is somewhat coming off, but not really. Its pretty bad. any ideas? the quality of it I thought was fine, but of course not the greatest, most expensive, if it matters to you while thinking up a cure. And I have not tryed to cook w/ it since. guess there not really stainless after all, hehe. thanks a bunch.
icon_frown.gif

I have my best luck by cleaning stainless steel with stainless steel. By that I mean those stainless steel scrubbing pads. It usually doesn't even require much elbow grease.

Hope this helps.

stolen from All-Clad.com:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Cleaning The Stainless Steel Interior:
Immerse in warm water. Use a fine powder cleanser with water to form a paste. Apply paste using a soft cloth. Rub in a circular motion from the center outward. Wash in hot soapy water, dry immediately. DO NOT USE oven cleaners or cleansers with chlorine bleach. DO NOT USE steel wool. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It works for me, I have a powdered stainless cleaner and that's exactly what I learned to do to clean my SS by trial and error over the years.

If it's really bad I'll let it sit on for an hour before I start scrubbing, seems to help.

Rinse and repeat, eventually you will win.

Dan,
Get some Bar Keepers Friend. It's a cleanser made specifically for SS. That and some elbow grease should fix things up.

If you don't have any Bar Keepers on hand, try using some baking soda. Sprinkle a fine layer of it on the pan, moisten a scrubby(non-metallic), and rub in circular motions. Depending on how bad it is, it helps to boil some water in the pan, pour it out and do the above procedure.

I had a similar incident. I went with white vinegar and water; let it simmer for a few mins, then turn off the heat and just let is soak for about 30 mins. Then go with Bar Keepers Friend or similar. Mine cleaned up like new. Good luck.

I'd pay no attention to the warnings about not using oven cleaners. I've routinely had thick burned on carmelized gunk in my SS pan, that will not scrub out or soak out.

So for me, I spray a thin coat of easy off oven cleaner, and wait 5 minutes. The pan literally rinses away everything and looks sparkling new. I have not had any pitting or wear from doing this, and I've done it for 2 years now. The pan still looks brand new. I just wouldn't spray it and leave it in there for several hours.

But you cant beat this in convenience and speed.

lol. ya thats what I get huh dave
icon_wink.gif
. well thanks guys I was just afraid of damaging that polished or whatever finished in some way. I'll look for the bar keepers friend and in the mean time oven cleaner for a short time, i've been doing soap and water the past few days and nothing yet, so will give it a shot. Ill do that for now cause like I said it wasn't super expensive but I sure liked it a lot anyway. thanks again, love this site.

Back