Potato Ricer

Larry Corall

TVWBB Super Fan
Bought a cheapie Hamilton Beach Soft Touch at an outlet mall kitchen supply store last week. Had never used one before. Could not rice a raw potato even after I quartered or "chunked" them out. Do I need to parboil a potato 1st? Recipe I'm trying to duplicate, a potato dumpling my Grandma used to make, I don't know for sure - you know Grandma's - nothing written down + it's over 25 years since someone in the family has tried to duplicate - going on memories - think used raw potatoes.
Wife says there are electric potato ricers out there. Are they worth the investment? Are there other uses for them? I might only make the dumplings 3 or 4 times a year.

Larry, my mother used to make potato dumplings from raw potatoes. The potatoes were finely grated on a box grater. I used to love them but haven't gotten around to making them but always wanted to....like you, no written recipe that I could find.

I haven't seen any electric potato ricers, but that doesn't mean they are not out there. Generally, a potato ricer is used to press cooked potatoes for lump-free mashed potatoes.

I've been thinking of trying to grind raw potatoes in a food processor until finely ground but not yet a puree, then draining and squeezing out excess moisture. At the same time, I would grate a potato or two on my box grater to see if I could match the texture.

Do you have any kind of recipe for a starting point? If not, I have a couple of good German cookbooks and could scan in the recipes for you.

Rita

Ricers are used for cooked potatoes. They make the best mashed potatoes. Far better than a potato masher.

Many potato dumplings are made with only raw grated potato. some are made with a combination of raw grated potato and cooked grated potato. That's what I use - plus egg, a little flour and salt.

Kevin, I don't recall if my mother ever used part raw and part cooked. When you have time, I would love to try your version. (Maybe best in the Side Dishes forum.)

Rita

As always, mr. Kruger is spot on. I did not by a potato ricer for many years, thinking that it was "just another useless thing for the kitchen drawer". I finally caved in, and i regret not buying one years ago.
It makes the most fantastic, fluffy, best tasting mashed potatoes I have ever made. Makes me sad to think what I have missed over the years.
I've read that it has something to do with not breaking down the cells in the potatoes. I do not really care. If you don't own one, buy one!

Don't own a box grater. I have one that has a single medium side and actually used it for the first time in years - to coarse and dumplings fell apart when they hit the water.
I learned and will try again this weekend.

Don't own a potato ricer. My wife makes awesomely good mashed potatoes with an electric hand mixer, using flat sided beaters that act more like dull knives than mixers. This results in very creamy mashed potatoes that are waaay too good to eat a single serving.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Don't own a box grater </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's another kitchen gadget you should look into I use mine at least 4 times a week.

I have an electric Moulinex multi tool that has different attachments for blending, ricing potatoes, and immersion blending. It makes really great mashed potatoes (after they have been cooked). My daughter gave this to us as a gift almost 20 years ago. I tried to find a source in the USA and was unable. Maybe you can find one somewhere.

Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Potato Ricer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Had to google it. But yea its a great tool. But i use my grater(not the oxo one) ALOT more. That is a must in any kitchen!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But i use my grater(not the oxo one) ALOT more </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I also use my box grater a lot. Frequently just grate some russett potatoes and throw them in a medium hot skillet with ghee and make potato pancakes. No other filler or anything, just the potatoes. I aften use these pancakes as the "dough" for a pizza and add roasted or grilled veggies. Very tasty.

Ray

For a ricer I really like this one:

Kuhn Rikon Ricer

Bought it because of good reviews on Cooks Illustrated and they were valid. Nice to work with easy to use, extra blade for Spaetzle, easy to clean. And has the pot hook.

AFA the box grater I like that OXO version, but thing is it's no different than my antique except for that nice catch box. Next box unit I get will be a micro plain version.

Edge Masters

Back