Grilled tomatoes

Geir Widar

TVWBB Wizard
Grilled tomatoes
Wash fresh large tomatoes, and remove the stem and center of the tomato. I use a apple core cutter for this, but a small sharp knife works just as well.
Foil the tomatoes with at double layer of aluminium foil, it does not need to be a “tight fit”. Place a few drops of oil on the edges of the tomato, so it runs dows the sides and prevents the foil to stick to the tomato.
Chop up let’s say ten leaves of basil, and stuff the tomatoes. Add a tiny bit of garlic if you like, but you don’t have to. Add a stick or two of cheddar, the real stuff, not the awful orange stuff that “contains cheese”.
Add a small chunk (1cm3) of butter (1 small teaspoon), then some salt and pepper, and grill them, leaving the top of the foil open. They should be done in about twenty minutes on medium heat. If they are not moist to touch after 20 minutes, I put them away to a indirect zone and let them sit there until done. If you are fond of evoo, add some to each tomato before serving.
I think they are great as starters, but also as a part of the vegetables to grilled meat. If you are eating BBQ, they have too much taste, and they are a bit too complex- tasting.

Edit- Included a picture, not very good, I'm afraid, but it shows how they look like on my gasser.
105498_s.jpg

Fullversjon: http://sportsfiske.nu/foto/arkiv/42440/105498.jpg

Geir:

They look and sound tasty - thanks for the recipe - as I posted earlier on another thread, my tomatoes aren't doing well at all this year, the heat around here is a killer!.

I may give 'er a try (and add some toasted, buttered breadcrumbs on top as well to finish 'em off!)

Regards,

Rooster

Thank you for the kind words. You can basically vary this to any direction as you like, but tomatoes, a small amount of butter and evoo, some fresh herbs, maybe some cheese- and there you go. The heat, and the water that evaporates, changes the tomatoes to taste- bombs, and they are lo- fat and healthy, too. Great as a starter with some bread.

Geir looks good.

I have done this many times with feta cheese and and chopped chili and a touch of basil.

Will try your style next time sounds good.

Geir, those look and sound good! Have plenty of basil growing in our herb pot right now. I must try this on my grill and maybe throw a little smoke at them while I'm at it, for another flavor dimension.
Thanks for sharing.

Back