Finding Backyard BBQ Contests

TimW

TVWBB Member
Hello all!

Anyone have an idea how I can find backyard BBQ contests? I've looked on KCBS website as well as the Mid-Atlantic BBQ Assc. website, but to no avail.

I would like to compete in a couple backyard contests this year and early next year. My brother and I are targeting a contest next July for our first full comp and I would like to have some experience before the that first one.

Thank you all for any help you can give.

Tim, in our area most comps both sanctioned and back yard are listed on CBBQA web site. Most back yards are early in the season . However a couple just popped up for the next couple months. I had also planned on doing a back yard before my 1st sanctioned last year. It didn't happen. I got my feet wet fast cooking 2 meats at a KCBS event with another team. I would say that experience was way better than doing a back yard. If you can find a mate and practice 2 meats and your boxes ahead of time you will be fine. Most experienced teams will assist you once you get to the comp. My suggestion would be to enter a sanctioned comp 2 months down the road. That will give you ample time to plan, practice and have some confidence. My 1st time out I got a 9th in brisket out of about 35. I was lucky but no looking back. After you do 2 or 3 comps the whole process gets easier and more relaxed.

Good luck!!!!!

Mark

The KCBS website does not list backyard BBQ comps, but the KCBS sanctioned event sometimes puts them on themselves. Go to the organizers website to see if they offer one. If you go to a KCBS event, you would probably come across a flyer for a backyard event.

If you go to one backyard comps, they usually lead to more. At my first comp this year, I got 3 flyers for backyard comps that all fall on Sept. 17, I gotta make up my mind soon! Good luck!

Hey Tim,

On the KCBS website seach for the word "competitor" under the Event tab. This will bring up the "Competitor Series" events which are sanctioned by KCBS but do not comform to KCBS rules. These may include contests that allow propane cookers, categories that are not the 4 KCBS meats (fewer than the four meats or other meats-I'm repping a contest with lamb in MT later this week, or backyard events). From there you can look for your geographic area and check for a link to the organizers website. Good luck!

Google for local clubs. I did and found forums for them and any local events. But being 110 during the summer they are limited 'round these parts.

Back