Another chimney starter

John Frailey

TVWBB Fan
Was at my local HD and found packs of Char Broil "SURE2START Fire Starter Packs". They come in boxes like July 4th sparklers from the 50's and are individual 2 inch square packs. I was doing a WSJ small cook and 1 of these puppies lit the 1/3 chimney charcoal off in short order. Might want to give these things a try..I am impressed.

May have to check that out. I'm getting very annoyed with the huge mess left by newspaper. I assume these are "safe"? Meaning, I could start my fire with gas but prefer not to when it comes to cooking.

Thanks!

I think they were $ 3.49 for a box of 12. Using them as I write on a full chimney of Frontier Lump (waste of money..more like chunks and pebbles) and one of the packet shas lit it right up.

Tonight I started a full Weber chimney of Frontier lump with one packet. From the time I lit the packet until the chimney was flaming bottom to top and ready to dump into the kettle was 15 minutes exactly. The Frontier lump is garbage as far as I am concerned, but these lighter packets seem to work real good. I have previously been an olive oil and paper towel guy for lighting the chimney but so far am a fan of these packets. Give them a try and let us know your thoughts. I am going to try them this weekend on a full chimney of K.

Back