First Comp with KCBS Judges. Long rambling post

Jeff R

TVWBB Pro
Forgive me in advance for the ramblings and long post, but I know you will get it.

Well my first competition with 100% CBJ’s is done and I thought I would share my experience and ramblings.

This was a rib fest in which they provided 12 riblet sized slabs to prepare for the KCBS judges as well as the public for people’s choice. Had no idea how they would cook, although I did suspect a little faster based on what some of you said.

I got there at 7:30 am for what was said an 8am set up and found 75% of the teams set up already and looking they could start cooking any minute. So I began to unload the SUV and make the multiple trips needed to get set up. I was a one man band and I quickly found out how I needed to have other team members. I had to set up camp, prep 12 slabs of ribs, fire up the WSM and attend a cooks meeting. Cooks meeting was at 10am. Of course that was right when I wanted to have the ribs on.

Shortly after I got set up I observed the first act of kindness that I have heard about at these events. Someone came up to the team next to me and was looking to see if he could buy some extra pellets. The guy started pouring pellets from his bucket and then refused any money for them. Shortly after that, he noticed I was struggling with the rib membrane as I forgot a butter knife. He quickly loaned me one. We soon began chatting back and forth and if we were not tending to task, we had some great conversations getting to know each other.

The cook is on and going well except I sure had the bullet loaded as I had planed an extra slab for friends and family who may show.

My wife gets there around noon, looks around, and seeing all the big offset and trailer smokers and says, “How are you going to compete against all of that”. I just smiled and said don’t you worry. She loves my cooking but just doesn’t get into like I do. So in a way it was good I started alone and had her available to bring some additional wish items.

The cook is done right to my planned schedule and I show her my turn in box. She has never seen one and seemed impressed. I filled my box and did my turn in.

In the mean time, the camp next to me wives’ show up and now she has made some good friends. She’s startin to get it!

Turn in is done, and people’s choice starts in 30 minutes. I get everything cut up and ready to serve. People started coming buy and sampling. You could see some smiles and talking between the patrons as they tried. After about an hour of good feedback from people, she’s startin to get it!

Soon there after, a judge comes up and says she scored a rib perfect 9’s and she is trying to find it. We chat for a while about KCBS and later she brings her husband back for a sample. By this time my wife is beyond herself and Startin to get it.

We spend the next couple hours with our new friends waiting for the results.

I took 2nd place and it brought my wife to tears. We enjoy another hour there then pack up. Once home she still can’t “believe” it. I turn on Episode One Pitmasters on Netflix so she can meet Harry Soo. We ended up watching 3 hours of it at her wish.

She turned to me and said, “I get it now, when is OUR next one”

Good & never get intimidated by all those $$$ smokers as you found out. At our first backyard contest, we saw the same thing & some guy was talking that he did this catering & that catering & he had this big offset smoker that had hydraulic winches to lift the lids & we had the 2 ECB so we just decided to have fun, worst or first it didn't matter. Well guess who was worst & who was first. It all gets down to if you know how to run your smoker for the judges that day & we did not him, out of 50+ backyard teams we did 5th ribs, 7th chicken & 3rd overall having never done anything but backyard for family/friends. Enjoy the ride as I'm sure it won't be the last for you either

Great story Jeff.
Congratulations on your first comp!
I love going to a comp with 4 WSMs, cooking my butt off and getting rewarded with walks at awards.
It's not the cooker, it's the cook.
It's all about the guy that can master his tools and make them work for him.
And I'm really, really glad she "gets it". (my wife understands the "high" from the calls, but doesn't get the BBQ community thing, which is the best part.)

Congrats on your win, Jeff! Sounds like you and the Missus had a great time, and thanks for sharing.
icon_smile.gif

Congrats! Very excellent result with first comp. The real trick is figuring out what the judges want and it sounds like you nailed it right off.

Congrats. We cook on 3 WSM's at full KCBS comps and love beating the guys with the big equipment. Clark the Harbormaster is correct. Our last comp, he placed 5th and we were 6th...out of 45. I love our WSM's.

Way to go, Jeff! I have had some scheduling conflicts with two comps so far this year. One I was catering our niece's wedding, the other we had to go on vacation because that week was the only one all summer that all of our schedules lined up, so I ended up missing both comps that I really wanted to compete in. It is addictive, yet fun. Congrats on the calls!

Originally posted by T Perkins:
Just curious Jeff, where was this comp at?

This was at B's on the River in Watertown. Had 16 teams there. I think he started this up after the Rails to Trails event ceased a few years ago as this was his 3rd annual. It was good for me as it was backyard but had CBJ and a good field.

Do you compete?

I do not compete, but am interested in doing so in the future. Still somewhat wet behind the ears in terms of smoking, being I just got my first WSM last spring. Am looking to see if any team might be willing to let me tag along for a compitition some weekend just to see what all goes on in terms of cooking in a comp.

Well done, Jeff! I'm very happy to see that you were not in the least bit intimidated by teams with large and/or expensive cookers. You are one of many who have learned that knowing how to use your cooker is far more important than how big it is or how much it cost.

Again, well done!

VERY NICE, Jeff! Congrats. Sounds like you have the comp bug and your wife is getting it too. My wife and I cook together. We really enjoy this hobby we call BBQ. The friends we have on the comp trail are our second family.

Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement. I know I have a lot to learn to turn in 4 meats and excited for the journey.

Originally posted by T Perkins:
I do not compete, but am interested in doing so in the future. Still somewhat wet behind the ears in terms of smoking, being I just got my first WSM last spring. Am looking to see if any team might be willing to let me tag along for a compitition some weekend just to see what all goes on in terms of cooking in a comp.

I know we would, but the closest contest we will be doing towards Minnesota this year is the Smokin' in the Bogs in Warrens,WI. Labor day weekend.

Back