New Weber Fireplace, Got One?

Steve Cutchen

TVWBB Super Fan
Doing a search, I saw the wood handle discussion from a while back when the new Weber Fireplace came out. But I didn't see a thread where someone actually described their experience using one. I'm thinking of it as a firepit for my patio. Anyone actually use one?

Also, has anyone used the bottom of a WSM as a firepit? I'm thinking you could even use the lid, without the middle section, as a way to safely extinguish (or at least power down) the pit at the end of an evening.

Biggest differences I see are 1) the bowls in the fireplace are shallow. Would the fire be too hidden in a WSM base? Also, 2) the fireplace has that aluminum frame to hold up the lid while in use. It that just to allow the lid to be in place or is there a functional basis?

the new one i saw had wood handles. the frame is to hold the lid up. then taken away so the lid can cover the bottom to extinguish the flames/coals. one glaring issue is that it does not have a spark screen so may have issues in places that require it. i read or heard that some folks make up their own screen setup.

Ha, what timing great minds do think alike.
I was showing my wife some pictures of "Family Portraits" this evening, and she suggested that I make a Fire-pit out of a kettle. So I think I'll pick a CL clunker for little $$ when we get back in a couple of weeks. She also thought one would make a good planter.
icon_eek.gif
Not to worry though, put the kibosh on that in a quick hurry. Had to explain to her that if word got out, that I"d be banished to the "Forbidden Zone".
icon_frown.gif

I have the Weber fireplace and love it. Weber now makes a cover for it also, with the frame in place, which matches their other covers. True, it doesn't have a screen, but its absence is required for toasting marshmallows anyway.

Gary

Back