Maiden Voyage on 22 Underway

Chris DeBusk

I got things rolling with my new WSM this morning at 8:30. Off to a good start, I have one vent mostly open and another 25% and am running at 230 or so. I started with a full Weber chimney of charcoal(and a bit extra) in the ring and one full one lit with Minion method. I also filled the water pan 1/3. With the cooking I have to do, I figure I am looking at about 10 hours. Think I will be ok with the amount of charcoal?

This thing really stays pegged on temperature, amazing!

Hi Chris... congrats on your WSM. IMO, it would depend on what you are cooking and how you manage the temps thruout the cook plus the ambient conditions; cold, windy, raining or snowing. Good luck...

joe

Chris... keep the WSM out of the wind. I like to smoke pork butts but most of the time I slice or chunk it. I pull it out after the temps reaches about 165-170 and let it rest. I am sure someone else who does pulled pork will join in this thread.

By the way get yourself an instant read thermometer. I cook on a temperature basis; if the meat or poultry reaches the desired temp... I remove from the cooker. About 5-6 hours for a butt at 225 degrees works for me...

joe

Thanks Joe, I do the same - time doesnt matter for sure when you hit the right temps. Fortunately, the wind has died down. I think I should be pretty well set on charcoal - I did put a few more briquettes in for good measure. Still humming along pegged on my temp. Thanks for the help.

Btw, I just put my avatar pic up a bit ago - thats from the first few minutes of the voyage today! Cant wait to chow down tonight.

Back