Look what I found at a garage sale.

Wayne Dimirsky

TVWBB Super Fan
I found this NIB Smoky Joe from 1983 at a garage sale for $5.00 Both vents are very hard to move and it was missing the hardware to attach the legs but everything else was there. Here are some pics.
001-8.jpg

004-2.jpg

002-4.jpg

003-2.jpg

I bought some new wingnuts and washers but I need to get three more washers as the diagram on the box shows washers on the inside and outside of the bowl.

I really don't know if this will be usable though since both vents are very hard to turn. You wouldn't be able to when it got hot.

I don't know when the SJ's went to the newer style ash pan attachment.

Wayne

Spray the vent centers with som heat resistant lube, and I bet the problems with the stuck vents are gone.

I've had great luck with using Wd-40 to loosen vents. I recommend you use stainless hardware.
The legs and ash pan are steel and will rust if you don't keep the moisure away.
To be honest, that is more of a collectible than a daily cooker, but life is meant to be enjoyed, so enjoy it!
AJ

I have one of that vintage that I used to make my mini-WSM. It is not nearly in as nice shape though due to use. I also didn't care for the round legs. They're pretty wobbly with the extra weight from the middle section. I replaced them with some home made flat legs like Weber used on their more recent models. I also drilled out the rivet that holds the bottom vent and replaced it with a 1/4-20 screw and nut so I could turn it.

Back