Thermapen-Users Guide

Tim L.

TVWBB Pro
Good morning/afternoon friends. I recently acquired a Thermapen as a Christmas present (are we still allowed to say Christmas on the internet? Hope so..). I was given a red one-perhaps because it matched Santa's suit-and am already a huge fan, just based on how snazzy it looks. I was originally going to specifically request a green one, but I prefer forest green and their offering is not dark enough for me to make a big fuss about it.

Anyhow, back to the topic at hand...

I'm wondering if anyone has any guidance on using the Thermapen to its full potential. Other than "insert into meat, read temperature" of course
icon_smile.gif

Specifically:

-how/when do you clean it (or any thermometer probe for that matter)?

-does measuring the meat while it is on the grill (which I assume everyone does) give false readings due to the radiant heat reaching the item at the time? In other words, will you get the same reading on a piece of meat while it is sitting on the grill as you would if you removed it first? If not, is it enough of a difference to be of concern?

My only experience with it so far is with boneless skinless chkn breasts (yeah, I know, but they meet daily protein requirements). It seems like I get drastically different readings...

-when I measure a piece on the grill and then re-measure it immediately after removing it

-when checking different sections of the breast. Admittedly I do not pound or flatten before cooking (should I?) so one end might be a 1/4" while the other is 1".

Any other general recommendations, tips or tricks for us new users?

Thank you all!

I check on the grill when possible. Some items are best probed from the side so I'll pick them up with tongs. Usually I dont like to move things on the grill more than necessary.

Uniform items should be temped in the middle, such as burgers or steaks. Uneven items should be checked in the thickest part, such as a chicken breast.

I use the taper on the tip of the probe to estimate depth into the item. Keep in mind that the thermapen measures in the last 1/8" of the probe, so you only need to get it about 1/2" in to get a reliable measurement.

Tim I used to temp my meat while it was on the cooker but found it did give me a false reading. I now remove the meat, insert Thermapen probe, get temp and return meat to cooker. I feel this gives me the best results.

Tim,

I believe my Thermapen (red also) is one of my most useful pieces of cooking equipment.

My immediate thought is that you may be inserting the probe so deeply into the breast that your measuring tip is sensing the radiant heat from the grill.

The sensing element in your probe is among the most sensitive in the industry. Try going somewhat less deep into the breast and try it then. Also, try it by taking the breast off the grill on a plate and see if that makes a difference.

I use mine mainly for pork butts, and am very satisfied. The probe is useful to feel for tenderness as well.

You should clean your probe thermometers between insertions, you don't want it to pick up some uncooked microbes early on and then re-insert them into the finished product.

I usually poke it in the meat on the grill and almost go all the way through the meat. I then start backing it out very slowly to see the lowest reading. That's what I love about the thermapen is that it reads the temperature so well, that you know when you have it in the middle.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
I'm wondering if anyone has any guidance on using the Thermapen to its full potential. Other than "insert into meat, read temperature" of course
icon_smile.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tim L., Tim R. here from ThermoWorks. All of the info you're looking for is in a new 20-page guidebook we recently published called "Using Your Thermapen." It should have been in the box with your new Thermapen but, just in case it got thrown away, here is a digital copy of the Thermapen Guidebook or you can send your address to tim@thermoworks.com and I'll send you a new one in the mail. It has cleaning guidance, how to get a proper reading, special considerations for meat readings, a chart of chef-recommended temps, food safety temps, customizing your Thermapen, and much, much more...

Best regards,
Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Whiting:
Tim I used to temp my meat while it was on the cooker but found it did give me a false reading. I now remove the meat, insert Thermapen probe, get temp and return meat to cooker. I feel this gives me the best results. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve, what type of variance were you seeing? Do you think that it influenced the final outcome of the meat you were cooking?

Mark

Mark,
You should not need to remove the meat to get an accurate reading. The micro-thermocouple is in the very tip (1/8 inch) of the probe and the Thermapen will show you the accurate temp wherever you put that probe tip. If it looks like the temp is higher on the cooker, that is because it is (the meat will cool slightly as you take it off) and the heat will continue to change (go up) over the heat as well. Hope that helps.
Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mk evenson:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Whiting:
Tim I used to temp my meat while it was on the cooker but found it did give me a false reading. I now remove the meat, insert Thermapen probe, get temp and return meat to cooker. I feel this gives me the best results. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve, what type of variance were you seeing? Do you think that it influenced the final outcome of the meat you were cooking?

Mark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
NO more then a few degrees Mark. I think it might have worked against me when trying to hit a tight temp such as a med-rare steak.

Wait, Tim, are you saying I need to read an instruction manual??? :) Ok, fine, I'll do it.

Thanks for all the great info guys

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PaulFisher:
Just went to their website and ordered one for $79. Winter inventory reduction sale!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What color did you order? You know there IS a difference. I got green, delivered fast as usual. Now I hear red is faster. Dang!!

Mark

Back