Allspice : In many rubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
An evening of reading and research yielded one spice that appeared frequently: Allspice.

Do you use it ? Pork and beef? It seems to show up with all the clasic ingredients. Fo me, a natural accompanyment to allspice is cinnamon. Oh well what a tangled web this spice jungle can be. The never ending quest for the best.

I use allspice quite a bit in my rib sauces. As accompanyments I will use cinnamon, mace, nutmeg, and on occassion ground sage. Add a couple of these to your #5 sauce and taste the change. Go lightly at first. I've also found out that pinnapple juice is a great thinner or additive with my saucess that contain these spices. Oops, I also use ground clove with the above.

Steve, I purchased a spice and herb book at my local bookstore that gives discriptions, pics, and what they are best used on. Also tells which ones are compatible with each other. I'm surprised how often I pull this book out for reference. I don't have the training that some on this site have, but like you, I do have the desire to learn and be a better cook. I always enjoy your post, I do what you do quite often, and that is tweak and taste.

I use it quite as often as well, more in rubs for pork than for beef (it is the spice in jerk pastes) but I do use it in some beef rubs. I often use a touch of clove with it (for beef it's clove and, perhaps, a little allspice) and it does go well with the other 'warm' spices--ginger, nutmeg, mace, cinnamon--as Dino notes. It goes very well with thyme and wonderfully with pineapple, peach, necatarine, and banana. It is one of the spices in ketchup.

Thanks gentlemen. I have not focussed on jerk or thought about ketchup. The family of spices yall have mentioned make sense. Pork and probably chicken.

Dino, you wouldn't happen to have the name of that book handy???<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dino Harris:
I use allspice quite a bit in my rib sauces. As accompanyments I will use cinnamon, mace, nutmeg, and on occassion ground sage. Add a couple of these to your #5 sauce and taste the change. Go lightly at first. I've also found out that pinnapple juice is a great thinner or additive with my saucess that contain these spices. Oops, I also use ground clove with the above.

Steve, I purchased a spice and herb book at my local bookstore that gives discriptions, pics, and what they are best used on. Also tells which ones are compatible with each other. I'm surprised how often I pull this book out for reference. I don't have the training that some on this site have, but like you, I do have the desire to learn and be a better cook. I always enjoy your post, I do what you do quite often, and that is tweak and taste. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello Paul

I purchased; "Herbs & Spices" by Jill Norman

Another good looking one was; "The Spice & Herb Bible" by Ian Hemphill.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back