Unbelievable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

As a newcomer to the world of the Weber Bullet, both real and virtual, I just wanted to throw in my comments after my 1st attempt at smoking this past weekend.

First of all, I used the "Minion Method" to start things off....and it worked so well, I was in shock! Sorry Jim for not having more faith in you. My apologies!! (Never again!)

And Chris, thanks to you for your beautiful step by step process at how to smoke the baby backs! It was incredible how similar my results were...although I probably went a bit too long by about 30 minutes or so, I'm not sure anyone but me felt the extra time hurt anything. I mean heck, they devoured them!!

As a beginner, it is realy nice to see the comments and encouragement from the veterans of the group. That more than anything got me believing I could do it!

Finally, I gotta say the Bullet lived up to all the hype I had read. The consistent cooking temps were what most impressed me. A very well made product, worth every cent.

Chris, you've got one tremendoulsy helpful site here...thanks for sharing!

Jon

Hi Jon,

I'm also a new WSM user, and I agree with everything you said. I also used the Minion method(hey Jim) and it worked great. I think next time I will try method one, just for the experience. I think the Minion will be the one I use long term.

Doug

Doug
Good idea, try different methods and charcoal. Use the differences to your advantage when different conditions present
there selves.
You will hear people talk about the only way to do something, thats just not the case.
Under ideal conditions one method will work
always, but we have to cook when conditions aren't ideal and that's when cooking with foil, at higher temps, and other methods will help you get the end results your after.
While your trying these other method you may have to eat some average Q, but that's not all bad.
Jim

Thanks for all the great feedback, Jon and Doug. I do a lot of short cooks, like 4 hours for chicken or baby backs, and I've gotten used to using Method #1 with just one and a half to two chimneys of briquettes. I reserve Jim's method for my longer cooks, like brisket and pork butt. But as Jim said, there's more than one way to get the job done, and trying different approaches is part of the process of educating yourself and finding out what you like best. That's what it's all about!

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
... I do a lot of short cooks, like 4 hours for chicken or baby backs, and I've gotten used to using Method #1 with just one and a half to two chimneys of briquettes. ....
Regards,
Chris[/B] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Chris, I also do a lot of short cooks. Chicken and ribs are a family favorite. I must say, I think I will be cooking more brisket and butt now that I have the WSM and can hold the temp where I want it. I think I will try method one the next time I do ribs. How much is two chimneys of charcoal for you? I have an off brand chimney, and I would guess it holds 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of charcoal. Just a little bigger than a one pound coffee can. Is yours about the same? Might give me a good starting point for a 4-5 hour cook.

Jim, sounds like good advice. I do like to try different methods and ideas that make sense to me. I am not shy about listening to those who have been there and done that.
smile.gif

Thanks
Doug

I use a Weber chimney, which has a larger capacity than most. I think it holds maybe four pounds? I keep meaning to measure that! I also use Kingsford charcoal, which burns hotter than most.

I would start by using the equivalent of between 2 and 3 small-sized chimneys of Kingsford briquettes on a warm, calm day. That should be enough to cook a couple of chickens or several slabs of ribs for 4-5 hours, with some heat left over. If you're using a fuel that burns cooler than Kingsford, adjust the amount of fuel accordingly.

Regards,
Chris

If my memory still serves me from when I weighed it before, I believe the Weber chimney holds about 6 lbs of Kingsford. I cooked 4 slabs (~10 lbs) of loin back ribs on the 4th and I used about a 1/3 full charcoal chamber full of Kingsford.

I did this by filling one Weber chimney full and waited till most of the coals were gray. Dumped these into the charcoal chamber and then added 1 layer of unlit charcaol on top. Waited till it was all gray and added the dry smoke wood and assembled the cooker. With all bottom vents closed and the water pan full of cool water. The meat was added and the grill temp went to 225 and stayed at 225 for 3 hours. At that time I turned the ribs and opened all bottom vents. The temp went to 265 and stayed for the next 2 1/2 hours between 255 and 265. If this sounds like BRITU, it is.

When finished, most of the charcoal was used up. I have found that for 5 - 6 hour cooking sessions, less than 1/2 the charcoal chamber full will hold 225 - 250 with no problems!

SC Que

Hello, I am also a new user of both the actual and the virtual WSM and am in awe of the results.

2 questions:

1. What is the consensus of opinion between using 100% hardwood coal vs. a composite i.e. Kingsford

2. Baby Back Rib...to brine or not?

confused.gif

Hey Tom
I'll be the first to jump in on the charcoal ques. There has been lots of discussion on the BBQ Forum and other lists concerning Kingsford vs 100% vs lump.
Most of the discussion about kingsford centers around the smell. Some say it stinks when burning others say it doesn't. I believe that for the longest burn time it's hard to beat the kingsford. Chris's time/ temp charts have been developed using kingsford. And alot of award winning Q has been made with it.
I personally like the lump, but it is very rare in my area. It burns hotter and faster and because of its' irregular shape you can't get as much in the charcoal ring. So you have to add more during long smokes. But the smell is sweet and clean.
When I can't get lump I use Nature glo. a 100% hardwood charcoal. It seems to burn alittle faster than kingsford. But I prefer it over kingsford.
The bottom line is that it is your Q that your making. You are the pitmaster, try differant brands. Find out what you like and learn how to work with it.
Chris has put alot of time into this site and it contains a wealth of info. Try a few cooks with the kingsford see how you like it. What ever you use always throw an onion on the fire. That way you can enjoy an air "sammich" while you wait for your meat to get done.
Good Smokin
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back