Concerned about drilling through powder coat

Steve M.

TVWBB Fan
For those that have used the unibit or other devices to drill through the external paint coat, two questions:

- What is the best way to prevent splintering / cracking of the surface as the drill bit cuts through? I'm guessing a strip of duct or electrical tape.

- For those that did this some time ago, have you had any issues with rust around the new hole?

I was wondering after I drilled the hole if I should touch it up with some high temp grill or engine block paint?

Thanks.

I decided to install a lid themometer this past spring. I used a double layer of masking tape to cover the area where I drilled. Masking tape won't leave a sticky residue that duct tape will. I recommend using a traditional corded drill. They have a higher RPM rate than a rechargable battery operated drill. This will lessen your chance of chipping the pocelain and will give you a nice clean drill hole. When you begin to drill don't apply to much downward pressure. That will cause your porcelain to crack, let the drill do it's thing apply moderate pressure and the Unibit will bite in and in seconds the job is done. Painting the hole after drilling... personal preference I believe. I just mounted the thermo and off I went. As for rust issues... NOTHING not a problem at all.

Good Luck
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Another approach that works especially well for small holes: use a small abrasive bit like this one: Dremel bit to grind through the porcelain, exposing the steel. Then you can drill your hole with a regular bit.

in addition to Larry, if you want a larger hole make a circle with the Dremel to the steel and a centerpoint in the middle for your drill. Worked fine with me.

I installed a thermometer years ago. I put masking tape over the hole area to avoid chipping. I used a little dab of high-temp barbeque paint around the inside of the hole to prevent rust. So far, no problems.

But you can use a digital probe thermometer to measure your pit temp and it saves the effort af drilling into the unit. You can invalidate your warranty if you cut into the smoker. Also, unless you already have the tools you need, it can be a bit expensive to buy them for a one time use.

I would recommend having a second person help. I made this modification a few months ago. When I was drilling the hole, the bit would grab sometimes. I think it would have gone smoother if I had someone holding the lid for me while I operated the drill. I don't think I cracked the porcelain, but I probably had more chipping that I might have otherwise.

-M

Back