Recommendation for a #2 grill

Matthew Appler

TVWBB Super Fan
I currently own a Weber Performer charcoal grill and a WSM. I am interested in getting a gas grill to handle the "small and quick" grilling tasks. I have always cooked over charcoal, and enjoy it. However, I find that the effort and time required to start up the grill just to do a couple of boneless chicken breasts on a weeknight is just not worth it. I think an inexpensive gas grill would be a worthy addition to the backyard.

So, having never owned a gas grill, I decided to ask for some recommendations. In general, I'm not concerned about cooking anything complicated, I would do any indirect cooking on my WSM or Performer. I would do high heat work (steaks) over my Performer. I envision this as a mostly boneless chicken breast, boneless pork chop, quick burgers grill.

Thanks in advance,

-Matt

Really...I'm suprised by that...I always keep my Performer locked and cocked and ready to go....it's ready to cook in around 20 mins....about the same time it takes a gasser to heat up.

PS If you are in Central Fl...I have a stainless Char-Broil gasser collecting dust that only needs some burners. Come and get it.......FREE

I'll second the Q recommendation - that's the same logic why I bought mine. The bonus is it's "portable" (to a point - don't plan on carrying it around all day) The only warning is it might have trouble maintaining heat in winter, if you live it the "great white north."

Mathew
As a long time user and demonstrator of the Weber Q series, having converted most of my friends to the Q series and the continual feedback that I receive from customers who purchased the Q series, I can catagorically say that the Q220 is without a doubt one of the most versatile BBQs to use. Used properly it will produce very good results consistantly. As for working in low temps, I used mine the other night when the temp was 4 C (40 F) no problem the temp gauge reading was 550 F.

A 9 Kg (20lb gas bottle will last 36 hours You can roast 2 chickens side by side on in it.

Regards

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J Martin:
Really...I'm suprised by that...I always keep my Performer locked and cocked and ready to go....it's ready to cook in around 20 mins....about the same time it takes a gasser to heat up.

PS If you are in Central Fl...I have a stainless Char-Broil gasser collecting dust that only needs some burners. Come and get it.......FREE </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, perhaps I'm just doing it wrong...
icon_smile.gif
What do you do to keep it ready and light it? Form a pile of charcoal over the ignition or chimney starter?

I'm in Northern Virginia, so...a little far for a free gasser..
icon_wink.gif

-Matt

The Q220 is attractive to me. I like the portability as an option. That makes it a bit more versatile. It doesn't get too cold here in Virginia, so I"m not worried about low-temp cooking. Besides, I'm not leaving my charcoal grill, just considering adding to it, so even if I was not happy with the Q in low temps, I can always fire up the other grill.

-Matt

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matthew Appler:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J Martin:

PS If you are in Central Fl...I have a stainless Char-Broil gasser collecting dust that only needs some burners. Come and get it.......FREE </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, perhaps I'm just doing it wrong...
icon_smile.gif
What do you do to keep it ready and light it? Form a pile of charcoal over the ignition or chimney starter?

I'm in Northern Virginia, so...a little far for a free gasser..
icon_wink.gif

-Matt </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You got it.......I just keep either my charcoal baskets full over the igniter or a pile ready over the igniter....then its just open the gas and push the button.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matthew Appler:
The Q220 is attractive to me. I like the portability as an option. That makes it a bit more versatile. It doesn't get too cold here in Virginia, so I"m not worried about low-temp cooking. Besides, I'm not leaving my charcoal grill, just considering adding to it, so even if I was not happy with the Q in low temps, I can always fire up the other grill.

-Matt </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Matt
Send me your email address and I will send you some recipes that I have developed for the Q220.

Regards

Two Q220 questions:
1) How long does it take for the Q220 to heat up (ready to grill)?

2) How long does it take for it to cool down? (so it can be loaded in a car when being used as a portable).

Thanks,
-Matt

Matthew, The Q220 as well as most of the Q series take only about 10 minutes on high to get to grilling temps with the lid down.

As for cooling time, providing you turn it off as soon as you take the last of the food off the grill, by the time you have eaten your food, had a few drinks,chatted abit with your friends etc,it'll be ready to pack away in the car.
I find they cool down rather quick with the lid left open so I wouldn't be too worried about it.

I always make sure I turn off the gas first so to starve the burners of any excess gas before i turn the knob to the Off Position,If you are in a hot sunny area and you want the grill to cool down faster, try to move it in a shady area where the sun won't be beating down ontop of it.
Most importantly, sit down and enjoy the wonderful grilled foods that your Q series will cook for you....after-all, relaxing with a few beers, good food & friends..isn't that what life is about!! Don't need to fret on the small stuff
icon_razz.gif

What's the difference between a Q200 and 220? Q200 is 159.99 from amazon (no shipping or tax in most states) today.

I have a Ep-320, wsm and 22.5 MT, yet I'm still itching to buy something I dont need.

EDIT: Oh the 220 has a higher lid plus a thermometer. Hmm, but still a good price ...

Just let me throw another limited recommendation for the Q to the OP. I have a Performer and a WSM and was looking for a small gas grill to handle quick, during the week things like you describe. I also did not want something else taking up space since my 3 yo does a great job accumulating toys to fill the yard and garage.

So I got the Q100 last week. Two cooks is all I have done thus my 'limited' recommendation. But it exceeded my expectations.

Why not get a Weber Go-Anywhere Gas grill? 170 sq.in cooking area and a very reasonable price tag. I got mine for $27 at Home Depot just because I wanted a portable gas grill to go along with my gas Coleman camp stove for, well... camping! Plus, I can't pass up a half price sale on anything Weber!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Willis:
Why not get a Weber Go-Anywhere Gas grill? 170 sq.in cooking area and a very reasonable price tag. I got mine for $27 at Home Depot just because I wanted a portable gas grill to go along with my gas Coleman camp stove for, well... camping! Plus, I can't pass up a half price sale on anything Weber! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go-Anywhere Gas grills are not available in Australia, They were available some years ago but then were discontinued. I believe that this was due to conformance to Australian Standards.

The charcoal model is great, I love doing steaks on it.

The difference is that you don't have the versatility that you do with the Q series and the cost of charcoal vesus the cost of gas. The Q series also have a larger cooking surface.

Regards

Back