Direct vs. Indirect

LarryG

Hello Weber Community,
I am hoping you can end an argument between my roommate and I. If someone would be so kind as to define, on a picture of the grill surface (any Q will do, I use the 200), where Direct and where Indirect grilling would take place. Silly, I know, but I must prove him wrong!! Thanks Friends.

I hope I'm not splitting hairs, but I don't think there is such a thing as indirect grilling. Grilling is the application of direct heat. Now indirect cooking is a different subject. I only have a q220 and it does not have independent burners. I have set up an indirect cooking method by using a griddle to diffuse heat. That has allowed me to bake cookies on the Q. Conceivably, you could use a similar set up to smoke on the Q. I'll try and get a photo this weekend.

Which way did you come down on the subject?

yep, indirect cooking would not be what i would call "grilling". though grilling at times requires both grilling directly over coals and indirect cooking so as not to char yer food.

The Q as is does not do indirect well if at all. You can rig up a baffle to do indirect.

The 300 and 320 can do indirect because of the second burner and the fact that the outer burner is larger in diameter. Even still the area for indirect is very small when compared to traditional three and four burner grills.

When cooking indirect with my CharQ too much heat was going out the top vent. I added a kettle vent to one side of the CharQ and indirect works much better, SIDE VENT. When cooking indirect I leave the top vent closed and just open the side vent.

This is a photo of a 3 Kg (6.6 Lb) turkey on the Q120.
Indirect is achieved by placing a barrier between the food and the meat in this case a doubled over sheet of foil. You must raise the meat off the barrier to allow air circulation, this enables a convection style cooking. I use a Weber Trivet which is available in Australia. I have on occasions used a cake cooling rack sitting on 4 balls of aluminium foil about 1" high. I have been cooking and demonstrating cooking like this for about 8 years.

SAM_0719.jpg

Here is the finished result

SAM_0727.jpg

here is 2 chickens cooking indirect on the Q220

2Chickensafter30minsinQ.jpg

Finally here are 5 chickens cooking using the method on the Genesis E320

latestsep08033.jpg

Cheers

George,
When I cook indirect in the CharQ the charcoal and wood are on one side and the food is on the other side. The side vent is needed to get the heat and smoke to the food.

milt, i kinda assumed that but considering heat and smoke are circulating i'm kinda thinking that yer mod just inhanced this effect.

Back