Stoker - Wireless Bridge Question

Mike C.

TVWBB Member
I have a Stoker on order and I was going to run a CAT5 cable out to my garage. But then it occurred to me I have an old Linksys WRT54G router laying around. I know it doubles as an access point and has RJ45 connectors on the back. The Stoker manual calls for a wireless bridge. While they may not be the same thing don't they function the same way by connecting devices to a wireless network? In other words can I use my WRT54G instead of a wireless bridge?

Originally posted by Mike C.:
In other words can I use my WRT54G instead of a wireless bridge?

I'm not a computer guy, but I have 2 WRT54G and only need 1 for my wireless network. So I too searched for this before buying my bridge...Yes, you can do it....However, it requires modifications beyond my capability. It was easier for me to purchase a bridge on craigslist for $30.

I'm in a similar "boat" as Pat and I found it easier to purchase a wireless bridge off of eBay for $30 than mess with turning the router into a bridge. My time is worth more than that.

My time is worth more than that.

Your time apparently isn't so valuable to keep you from spending a great deal of it consuming beer...
icon_wink.gif

And weren't you saying something elsewhere about being comfortable with technology for over 18 years?
icon_confused.gif
This should be a cakewalk for you. As far as I can tell the router will simply function like a wireless network interface card.

I see it as more than a $30 expense buying a wireless bridge. The router cost me $90 so by forfeiting the use of it I'd have add that to the price. It would take me longer to hunt down and pay for a WB on ebay than it would to get the router I already have working.

Touché, except you forgot consuming excellent Q while I’m drinking beer. One must have priorities
icon_wink.gif

I hope you didn’t take my comment as saying your time wasn’t valuable as that was not my intention and apologize if it came across that way.

If memory serves me correctly I actually started down this road but ran into a snag very early on and saw it turning into a more time consuming project than I had originally planned on. This was on top of already spending a couple of hours on the phone with Linksys trying to get our wireless gaming adapter to work (never worked) and having spent time on the phone (and working with my Stoker) with Rock's and ultimately returning my original Stoker unit due to an issue. By this time I had wasted far too much time on the project. So I checked eBay and lucked out, there was a buy-it-now auction available on the wireless bridge I wanted so the total transaction time was minimal, maybe 15 minutes max and the frustration factor was much lower. Now had I not lucked out on the eBay auction I may have reconsidered the project.

You’re correct, I’ve been involved in IT for many years now on the sales and marketing side not the technical side. So while I’m quite comfortable with technology, speaking about technology and understanding technology I know my limits.

The bridge has been great with one exception, when it’s over say 90 degrees outside it tends to lose connection. Unlike me the bridge cannot cool itself down with an ice cold beer
icon_wink.gif

Since neither Pat nor I we’re up to the conversion I’d be curious how yours turns out, keep us posted. Oh, and congrats on the purchase of your Stoker, you’re going to love it!

When it’s over say 90 degrees outside it tends to lose connection.

THAT is a deal killer on the whole wireless thing. I already had problems with a remote thermometer that couldn't keep a connection for more than 30 minutes. I'm not interested in going through that again. I did a quick search and found several other references to Stokers losing their wireless connection. Soooo...I'm back on the ethernet cable option which is perfectly fine with me and probably infinitely easier to work with. What am I going to do with all that spare time?
icon_biggrin.gif

thought this seemed like a good place to post this rather than start a new thread?!

I am trying to get my stoker to work wirelessly useing an apple airport express (as a bridge) to connect with my network and apple computer running boot camp, windows xp, and amir's stoker log.

first off ... has anyone configured an apple airport express as a bridge successfully. there are technical and aesthetic reasons that hold equal weight for me in wanting to do it this way. any thoughts?

also, my first post here and after lurking for a while, I'm already super thankful to everyone for all the incredibly useful info they've posted on here!!!

Originally posted by Mike C.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When it’s over say 90 degrees outside it tends to lose connection.

THAT is a deal killer on the whole wireless thing. I already had problems with a remote thermometer that couldn't keep a connection for more than 30 minutes. I'm not interested in going through that again. I did a quick search and found several other references to Stokers losing their wireless connection. Soooo...I'm back on the ethernet cable option which is perfectly fine with me and probably infinitely easier to work with. What am I going to do with all that spare time?
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm I use my spare netgear with NO modifications from the factory default settings (well I did secure the network obviously) and can connect my laptop wirelessly to my router + Stoker connected with an ethernet cable and all works fine...
I reckon you may need it to be set as a "bridge" if you want to connect to it via the web???
Anyway doesn't take long to setup and if you have it lying around you might as well trial it?

I had a wireless setup for a while and found it to be unreliable. So I decided to run a CAT5 cable from my router to my BBQ area. Since I did, I havent' had a problem with using StokerLog. I highly recommend going the hardwire route if at all possible.

Bill

Last two cooks I used a longer CAT5 cable that allows me to place my wireless bridge in a nice shady place and Stoker next to my WSM. Has worked like a champ even in 100 degree weather. I think it was being in the sunlight that was overheating my bridge. Haven't heard, "Stoker Connection Loss" for two cooks . . . knock on wood!

Back