Ranch Kettle and additional cooking grate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benny A

TVWBB Member
Hi All,

Has anyone adopted a 22-1/2" cooking grate to sit atop the regular RK grill? If so, what did you use to hold the smaller grill up and/or how high above the RK grill did you make it. If not, does anyone have any suggestions or comments.

Thanks, Benny

Benny,

I just did some measurements and some placements of a 22.5" grate and I think the only way you can gain anything is to not use the lid holder .. Set it on the ground or something so that you have access all the way around and even then, access under the raised grate will be limited. It's about 9" from the grate to the dome vent and while it will probably be more indirect heat up there, it's gonna be pretty hot. Curious where you're going with this.
icon_smile.gif

Bill

Gary,
Thanks for the link, I may try one or more to see how everything fits.

Bill,
I am a new owner of a RK. My goal is to cook all four meats in it at KCBS/IBCA contests. I saw the Smokenator ad with the upper grill for the 22-1/2" kettles and thought about doing it with the RK. While I do believe all four meats will fit as is, I was just curious if someone has tried adding an upper grill.

Benny

How 'bout a cooking grate ffrom the 18.5 as an upper grate ? I have an RK and have never needed the extra space.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes, I tend to agree about having enough space. I have only done a brisket and butt together. There appeared to be plenty of room for a couple of slabs of ribs (in a rib rack)and chicken thighs. I guess what I should do is go buy some meat and see for myself. I'll post photos sometime next week. My next contest will be in mid-Oct.

Thanks, Benny

Benny I thought about the same but here's where my issue is; you certainly can cook all four meats but whether or not they will be at a comp level is questionable.

IMO, you will benefit by having different cooking environments for the differents meats.

For example, brisket can be cooked in the low 300s, shoulder in the low to mid 200s, ribs in the upper 200s and chicken in the mid 300s. If using a WSM and the shoulder is cooking slow you can easily bump up the heat. With a RK you can't do that without impacting the other meats.

I hope I don't discourage you, if you can manage to put out quality comp meats on a RK my hat's off to you, it's not easy to do.

I think it's more ideal to use at least 2 maybe 3 WSMs or a kettle and then the new 22 when it comes out.

1 18 WSM pork
2 18 WSM brisket
3 18 WSM or 22 kettle chicken or use one of the above when meat is done
4 22 WSM ribs

John

John,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. The butt and brisket I did was cooked at about 300, with foiling (apple juice added)as each reached 160. I also use a Stoker for air circulation with 3 fire bricks holding a load of coal. The results were pretty good. My next try will be with the Stoker set for 250.
I think chicken is the problem meat for me in my senario. I may just use a kettle for the chicken at a higher heat range for crispy skin. Bought the ribs and brisket today, chicken and butt later. Will probably cook on Tues.

Thanks, Benny

Yep I would recommend at least using a kettle for chicken to cook at higher temps and crisp the skin.

Good luck and let us know how you did.

BTW, I'd love to have a RK, was just hard to justify the price... Looking out for a used one though.

John

Well, I smoked all four meats today. See link to photos http://s338.photobucket.com/albums/n437/badauto/Four%20meats%20in%20RK/

My ribs were very poor. I used a 3-2-1 method but filled the foil pouches with a large quantity of apple juice. That caused them to fall apart.
I also made two huge errors. First, I used too much fuel to start with. I only had 15 lit coal but the temp went over 300 within 30 minutes. I will start with less fuel and add as required next time. Or, I will remember to make sure the bottom vents are not wide open when relying on the Stoker for air. I didn't realize the vent was open until almost two hours and having removed half the charcoal.
Even though everything fit, I would prefer the ribs to be laying flat, so I will move the chicken to their own kettle for competition.
All comments and suggestions are welcome.

Benny

Hi All,

Well, I competed at the largest ever BBQ contest in CA last weekend. There were 52 teams. Here are some of the pics. The small ones were taken from other competitors posts so I don't know how to make them larger. http://s338.photobucket.com/albums/n437/badauto/Viejas%202008/

I took other's advice and cooked the chicken on a 22 1/2" OTS. Got a 17th place in chicken. The judges were not as kind to me in the others as I finished 43rd overall.

Benny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back