Shawarma and tabbouleh

So here is something a little different. Made a beef shawarma which is basically a middle eastern soft taco. It has 3 parts to it a marinade, toppings and a sauce. For the marinade you want a cup plain yogurt, 1/4 cup vinegar, 2 cloves garlic, 1/2 tspn salt, 1 tspn ground cardamom, 1 tspn allspice and juice of one lemon. Put in a freezer bag and let sit in fridge overnight.

DSC00373.jpg

For the toppings thinly slice some cucumber, onion, parsley, tomato. Combine and bowl and add a tspn of ground sumac.

For the sauce make a tahini sauce. Used 1 cup tahini, 1 cup water, 1 cup lemon juice, 2 cloves of garlic and 2 tspn plain yogurt.

Grilled the marinaded beef over indirect heat.

DSC00379.jpg

Sliced it thin and added to a piece of flat bread. Put some tahini sauce over the meat and veggies.

DSC00383.jpg

Plated with some tabbouleh. Made the tabbouleh from 1 bunch of parsley cut with no stems, 2 small tomatoes diced, a handful of sliced fresh mint, and oil. Took quarter cup of bulgar and juice of 2 lemons and combined for 1/2 hour. Then combined all into the salad. Here it is plated.

DSC00384.jpg

Not bad.

Wow Brian -

Looks like there was some mighty fine eatin' in Cape Coral tonight!

Somthing a little different and tasty...

(Anyone know what works best to get saliva off a computer monitor?)

Wow! Going really exotic on us! Very nice looking meal. Amiddle Eastern food is usually a winner in my book. And I do love me some tabouleh.

I love the skewer! I stopped taking photos of similar things (tacos, etc) because its next to impossible to make it look good. The skewer works.

great dish though, nice cooking!

Would love a plate like that now. Isnt that tahini sauce very acrid? Only tryed tahini in hummos but it takes ovehand verry fast.

Wow! That looks delicious Brian! I could eat that plate right now! You didn't use that for now, did you?
icon_razz.gif

Brian - That looks great! I do like shawarma and tabbouleh.
I have friends from Lebanon and love when we get invited to their house for dinner. He cooks on a 5 gallon bucket with a grill grate. I have actually seen him cook on coals that he has burned down from pine branch trimmings and it was very good. When I told him that you're not supposed to cook on resinous woods, he told me that in Lebanon, during the civil war, that charcoal and fancy woods were not readily available and you cooked on what you could scavange - a lot of scrub pine & cypress - you just burn it down to a good coal.

Back