1st WSM cook

BradP "p-nut"

TVWBB Fan
New here - Ex Chargriller Outlaw owner.
I moddd it out but tt was a pain in the butt to keep hot so I sold it.

Here she is:
100_2682.jpg

Just bought an 18" WSM and todays the day for a playoff party.
Doing a 7lb brisket (injected and rubbed) and 3 slabs of STL cut ribs.
One weber chimney lit to almost two unlit with hickory chunks I soaked since last night.
It was -4 when I started this morning.

100_2953.jpg

000_0046.jpg

000_0049.jpg

I would take it out of the pan so smoke can get all around it -- you'll miss out on 1/2 the bark otherwise. Or was the pan just temporary?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary H. NJ:
I would take it out of the pan so smoke can get all around it -- you'll miss out on 1/2 the bark otherwise. Or was the pan just temporary? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm going to take it out of the pan later on.
This is the first time trying one in the pan so I don't know how it's going to turn out.

You will love the WSM, much better than the Char-Griller. I also have the Char-Griller it's not easy to use as a smoker, but makes a nice large grill. I sorry I added the smoker box. I admire your workmanship nice job, you will get along with your new WSM.

Well the finished pics didn't happen.
Things got a little rowdy.
Ribs were some of my best to date but the brisket didn't get done on the smoker in 9hrs. We finished it in the oven.

I'll try to get more pics on Friday when I two 15lbs of pork butt for my boys b-day party on Saturday.

FWIW, P-Nut, my techniques for both brisket and butt are: smoke to 165* internal, then, finish, foiled w/applejuice,
icon_wink.gif
in 325* oven, start checking for doneness 190-195* .... shortens the cooks a lot and you end up with moist meat
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim Quon:
Hey BradP, Welcome to the forum. You keep your equipment in tip top shape. Thats fantastic.
I don't bother to soak wood chunks anymore after see this video from Chris A.
http://www.youtube.com/virtual...b#p/u/13/rv7y1TWyKEw
Happy Smoking! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think if I don't soak for a while that the smoke taste is more bitter.
I know this topic has been discussed to death but at the end of the day I'll keep soaking them.

Back