Mold Help

Thanks for the responses everyone. I was concerned because it is a fuzzy mold. I thought I heard they were bad.

I will use the vinegar water solution. Does it have to be a specific type of vinegar?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Thanks for the responses everyone. I was concerned because it is a fuzzy mold. I thought I heard they were bad.

I will use the vinegar water solution. Does it have to be a specific type of vinegar? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As far as I know, the only molds to be wary of are dark black molds that don't easily wipe off. Some of the other fuzzy molds can be toxic, but the vinegar should kill them. Worse case, trim away the exterior.

Keep in mind, this no way is professional advice. However, the fact that I survived eating this might lessen your worries.

Use white vinegar if possible, you want a food grade acid without leaving behind a flavor.

Thanks J.

I just used the vinegar to wipe away the molds.

I will be cooking the end product anyway so I assume that would kill of any problems?

Yeah, I think generally speaking, toxins produced by molds are heat sensative and will not survive cooking. Ruhlman suggests cooking questionable meat, rather than junking it. I'm not sure I'd be that cavalier about all cases of dry cured meats, but a little surface mold isn't a big deal.

Back