Build or not?

Carl Soltow

I am new member to the board and have been messing with my yard sale W-Kettle (22.5) with indirect methods and smoke
So Is the mini the next step I usually only cook for Me and the Mrs with samples to friends and Co workers in the Fire station. The Mini would be a real cool travel item on a weekend in the station?
Cgff (carl)

Oh I have the bug bad!!!

Welcome to the forum Carl......yep just start reading on page one then if you have any quetions feel free to ask.There are some people with good ideas on here.
It is good for traveling.I am like you we are empty nesters and I just cook for 2 also.To be honest with you since I got my kettle thats all Ia use now unless I do want to carry a cooker with us and thwen it's the mini.Let us know how it goes with you.

Carl, welcome neighbor! I would have to agree, the mini is a great entry into the smoking world! Affordable and pretty easy to build, it is even easier to use and make some awesome Q! Truth be told, since I made my mini, I probably use it 3 or 4 x as much as I use my WSM. Like Glen said, read up, and please feel free to ask questions. (we Carolina boys have to stick together!) also, what part of NC are you in, We seem to have the state pretty well covered!
Good luck,
Tim

Glen jones Thank you, the build seems kinda straight forward. I am going to purchase a digital thermometer for the grill deck for my kettle. I currently have 1 for the meat internal temps it is 1 from wally world and works fine Thought of a hole/grommet in lid on my kettle for a candy thermometer.

Tim I am on the coast just (mainland) north of kittyhawk and wright memorial bridge. With the beach traffic now upon us on the weekends we are homebodies. what I have figured is chuck-roast on a kettle till internal temp 160 double foil wrap with a little broth and back on grill with a 1/4 chimney kingsford top vents wide open bottom 1/8th inch and it is out to the local pub for 2 cold ones and home quickly roast off and rest 15 minutes slice and heaven. Thanks for the help I will post my rub up and a BBQ sauce we made yesterday.
cgff (carl)

Back