Resting Meat

Wonderful Article!

Just sent it to my Mother-in-Law who thinks resting is "just a waste of time" and my favorite; "While its sitting there, the meat is getting cold!"

Probably still won't change her mind.

Matt

I noticed they cut with the grain, not across. Tsk tsk tsk. Haha.

You know, I've known about resting meats but sometimes we are so impatient. I tried but then couldn't resist. Then one day, about 5 years back, I was watching, wait for it, 30 minute meals with Rachel Ray (I didn't purposely watch it, the channel was left on after Michael Chiarello's show).

And she cooked a t-bone. Then she left it there. Finished cooking. WHen she cut into it, I saw no juice on the plate, no juice coming out. From then on, Ive always rested meat. It took watching someone like RR do it, to push me to do it hah.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I was watching, wait for it, 30 minute meals with Rachel Ray </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
LOL!!
Great article, thanks for sharing!

Great article, and some very good comments on there too. Thanks for the link!

I want to get more into bread baking, hobby wise only.
I always rest meat, but resting bread never occured to me until I saw the 'almost no knead bread' segment on Cooks Illustrated.
I have to cut off a slice as soon as it comes out of the oven, and slather with real butter.
Guess I'll try giving it a rest too!

Overkill. Just like roasting most steaks over 5 min doesn't provide significant benefit (as seen in the authors' chart), resting a rib roast over, say, 25 min isn't going to yeild much in the way of a return - but, in either case, won't hurt.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Overkill. Just like roasting most steaks over 5 min doesn't provide significant benefit (as seen in the authors' chart), resting a rib roast over, say, 25 min isn't going to yeild much in the way of a return - but, in either case, won't hurt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'd have to beat my guests back with a stick if I tried to rest it for 45 minutes in most cases. Depends on if everything else is done.

So when the Ruth's Chris, and Morton's and other steak houses bring a sizzling steak to your table, do you think that it has been rested? The first indication that the perpetrators of this article know very little about cooking steak should have been a dead give away. They cooked the steak in a pan. That alone eliminated any further credibility for me.

Back