Lamb in beer

Meyer

TVWBB Member
When I smoke lamb, which I do frequently, I always marinade the lamb in different spieces (Garlic is very important) and strong beer. I prefer to use dark beer like stout or ale. The lamb has to rest in the beer (all meat covered in beer) for at least 48 hours in the frigde. I then smoke it with hickory wood chunks, until the center reaces 160 F. That will give a tender, non-wool taste. In fact it tastes better the day after, either cold or just heated on a frying pan.

Nobody seems to like my recipe, but that?s okay, we have a different attitude to meat, and there is certainly a great difference of what meat you can buy. Ask for a brisket in Denmark, or Baby Back Ribs....no chance....

I have a lot of education to do, and I am working on it !!

Hello Meyer,
I enjoy leg of lamb (costco-boneless)usually with heavy garlic and herb de provence. Beer sounds like a good idea!

Hi Meyer

I'm keen to try some lamb but there don't seem to be many recipes around. I thought this might be because most lamb is already tender enough and the fat does well roasted. The popular smoking cuts of pork and beef are full of connective tissue that needs breaking down with the low & slow cooking.
So what cut do you recommend? How long did it take? I can get good lamb from a nearby farm so perhaps I'll give the beer recipe a go depending on what cuts they have available before vacuum packing them. The plastic always seems to make the meat so wet. I guess for seasoning I'll start simple - Garlic, rosemary and olive oil or is there anything else you'd recommend, I sometimes use juniper berries when I'm marinating for roasting.
I like the idea of the cold leftovers too - mm getting hungry.

Never done lamb in beer but I have butterflied a leg of lamb and marrinated it overnight in strong dry cider with half a dozen or so garlic cloves minced into the bag. A splash of cider in your gravy for roast lamb is worth a go, try it, you know you'll like it.

Back