HELP – Stoker not reading grill probe.

Chuck R

TVWBB Fan
My first attempt on the new WSM 22. I just got a 10 cfm fan. Hooked up everything (exactly as I have done in the past on the 18) , but the Stoker is not reading the grill (Control) probe so it will not adjust the fan. It has assigned the grill probe to a meat probe (Monitor) and the meat probe to another Monitor.

I have switched the probes around, shut it down and re-started, but it still reads wrong.

The Prime rib just went into the (gasp) oven.

Rob is right. Stoker loses blower association easily if you change the configuration. You need to use the browser to configure this (stokerlog can't do this yet).

I realize this may be a little late. If you are using an extension cable that is likely your problem. The 10 CFM fan, at least mine, doesn't like extension cables. I have to plug it directly into the stoker to get it to work reliably. I quit using it after the third cook as it is serious overkill for my cooker.

Thanks all. Just after I posted, our weekend guests arrived so I didn’t have time to play with it. I’ll follow your suggestions next week after they leave (and when it stops raining).

The oven Prime Rib did come out perfect. Just like I would have done with the WSM, I preheated the oven to 450, put the meat in the oven, cut it down to 350, stuck my Maverick food probe in it, and in 2 hours and 28 minutes, it hit 120, pulled it, tented it for a half hour, temp rose to 141, then sliced and served. Great, but no smoke.

By the way, I bought a 19.62 pound, 7 rib roast at Costco yesterday for $4.19 per pound, USDA Choice. I cut it down to a three and four rib, and put the 4 rib in the freezer.

At the risk of stating the obvious Chuck
icon_smile.gif
, you can test the configuration without cooking anything. Just turn the stoker on and see what the browser is telling you.

Thanks Amir. I figured I could to it that way, just haven’t had time to delve into it yet. Tomorrow after the guest leave.

Back