1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon aleppo pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder

(the last five ingredients I used a scant measurement but I think the full t will be best)

Shake chick in a bag, one piece at a time-if doing skinless, sometimes a spray of olive oil will help with browning...

Hi Steve

Interesting recipe, I like the flour and cornbread mix merging. Sounds like it could develop into a nice crusted top.

How do you normally cook it?
Are you barbecuing or grilling (direct or inderect?) and for how long?

Marc, I used this for baking chicken tenders (in the oven). The tenders were dipped in an egg and water wash then, shake in a gallon baggie with the coating mix. A light spray of olive oil helps brown the coating.... Cooks in about 25 min. at 450.
The goal was to minimize the excessive salt in original shake and bake and to control the other ingredients too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">aleppo pepper </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You see, I didn't even think of the oven. I am always debating on smoking or grilling and sometimes forget about that big ol' box in the middle of my kitchen.

I like the mix,I'll give it a shot and I don't have any aleppo pepper handy so can I assume that either some Ancho or Chili Powder would be good subs and could always add a dash of cayenne I guess?

Appreciate the recipe,it's got to be a butt kicker on shake n bake I'm sure
icon_smile.gif

Steve, What about subbing the flour and corn mix with about a C of Panko? Crispy, crispy, with no oil spraying needed. Just a thought/thinking out loud.
icon_biggrin.gif

Bryan, I bet you are dead on.
Hate to admit it but I have not used panko. Seen the tv chefs rave about it tho.
Keep thinking out loud.

Trying this tonight without the eggwash. Just took chicken tenders out and shook in the bag. This will result in a lighter crust. I did finish with an olive oil spray. Won't be fried chicken but as close as I need to get.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
Bryan, I bet you are dead on.
Hate to admit it but I have not used panko. Seen the tv chefs rave about it tho. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use panko all the time, in fact I just finished coating chicken breasts with it. But, I don't think it will work mixed with the spices as I believe the spices will be "left behind" when you coat them due to panko being so light. In other words, the spices will settle to the bottom of the bag and although some of the spices will end up adhering to the chicken, most of it will not. Try it, though, and hopefully you will prove me wrong. It's just that on the couple of occassions I tried mixing spice in with the panko, it did not work very well. If you have never used panko, you should. It makes a terrific crispy, very light breading.

I've done this with pulverized corn flakes & similar spices, baked in the oven with great results.

Steve, if you add a tablespoon of sugar to the mix it should aid in the browning of the chicken. 375 for about 40 minutes or so...

Back