Grilling on the deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Farley

Hey Everyone!

I've got a weber performer coming to my door soon, and i can't be any more exciting, i'm even having dreams about it. i've had a OTG for about 2 years now, and am really looking forward to the added convenience.

My hope is that i'll be able to grill (safely) with the performer on my wooden 2nd story deck. i've been using my otg on the ground level (i live in a raised ranch) mainly at the urging of my wife.

Do any of you use your charcoal grills on a wooden deck? i've been looking at the grillpad, does anyone have any expierence with those? i noticed that the standard sized grillpad is smaller than the dimensions of the performer.

man, i hope my performer gets here soon, i can't wait anymore! my daughter's 3rd birthday party is this saturday, and i can't wait to show it off.

thanks!
Brian

I've been grilling on my deck for over ten years and never had a fire, but I watch it closely. It has lots of grease spots and burn spots though. I've had pieces of lump fall out of the chimney and burn the wood, but never had a fire. If you want to keep your deck clean and burn mark free, I'd use a grill pad.

Hi Brian.

Personally, I have in the past but don't any longer. Here's a link to a thread with totally opposite views that were posted just a month or so ago. You can also do a search by clicking on the "Find" button up top and find tons of responses to this same question.

Welcome to TVWB.
icon_cool.gif

Bill

I use my OTG on my deck and have added a pad to catch errant sparks and things from burning the surface. When grilling just use common sense and keep the proper safety equipment handy (fire extinguisher) and you should be ok.

Brian
I use my performer on my wooden deck. I haven't had any problems. I light it on the deck in the open and then if it looks like rain I will move it under cover. The ash catcher does what it is supposed to do and catches and lighted embers, I am careful when positioning lighted briquettes, I always have a water bucket on standby, the dog loves drinking out of it.

I know how you feel about the performer, I still feel the same way. Mine is sage green and is better than sliced bread. Put the chimmney over the gas burner and just light for five minutes. If you use the baskets (they come standard here in Australia) just position them over the burner and light for five minutes also.
I bought 4 cylinders at the same time so that I always have a couple of spares.

Regards

I cook on a wooden deck. I keep a terra cotta flower pot holder <I'm no gardener - it's about 14" across and has a 1" high lip> You can get them at any garden shop, they come in different sizes. A metal drip pan for under cars could also work, any decent parts store should have them in various sizes, they have a lip of about 1/2".

Ken (from Atlanta)

Hey Guys!

Thanks for all the replies, I'm definately going to get the grill pad, I still need to convince the Mrs. about the deck though.

Performer came yesterday, put it together last night, going out to fire it right now!

Thanks!

Brian, if you want a good answer to this question,
ask some firefighters if they cook with charcoal on their decks. I have seen more than a few homes
burned because of grilling on the deck. Put you new Performer on the ground, and consider the extra steps to your deck as good exercise.

Well, after a few weeks of using the performer, I'm getting rid of the gasser all together. I've also decided to keep it off the deck, not worth the risk. Thanks for all your input!

Brian,

I'm going the other direction; I own a Performer and recently ordered a One Touch Gold. I too am in anticipation waiting for her to show up and cannot wait to grill on her. A little odd but maybe it's just the new toy thing. You'll love your Performer and having the surface next to the grill to put your beer on is very nice too
icon_biggrin.gif

I bought the OTG as it seems to be more suited for throwing in the back of the SUV and taking to the park or to realtives . . . got tired of cooking on their crappy grills having the food turn out subpar and having people think it was my cooking
icon_mad.gif

Enjoy!

Honestly, I didnt know there was any other place to play with the grill. My whole Weber family of grills and smokers live and work on the wood deck.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob H.:
Brian, if you want a good answer to this question,
ask some firefighters if they cook with charcoal on their decks. I have seen more than a few homes
burned because of grilling on the deck. Put you new Performer on the ground, and consider the extra steps to your deck as good exercise. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with this for safety, but my question is if I'm using a OTS, how far away should I be from my deck to be safe? Actually, my deck is so small, it may be safer to be on it, as any blowing ash usually blows over the side, instead of blowing toward the deck if I was on the ground.

The only problem I've ever had while grilling on my wood deck happened while transferring lighted coals from the chimney to my OTG. I will not grill while barefooted again.

I've grilled on a deck for years without a problem. It goes without saying that the most important step is watching the grill and the fire and having a operational fire extinguisher nearby just in case. The grill pad works great, but then again, I've never found a live coal fallen from the grill that wasn't caught by the ash catcher.

For those on a deck that have a one-touch silver (OTS), consider converting to a gold (OTG). I've found that this is a great way to contain any ashes and hot coals and have never noticed any difference or affect on air flow versus your basic OTS.

For conversion read this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back