My 2nd try w/baby backs; advice requested

Byron Childress

Hi All:

Just did my second ever cook on the small WSM and was a bit disappointed and am looking for some advice.

I've only done 2 cooks so far and I've been experimenting with baby backs both times.

First cook: Last weekend I did a 5 hour cook (4 racks of ribs). I opened it up only at the 4 hour mark to baste with a commercial sauce for an hour before completion. Lid temps per the factory thermometer were 205 to a spike of 245 at about the halfway point. Ribs were good, but only like Chili's good and not quite fall off the bone. I thought I'd make adjustments this weekend but my wife said the result was actually less good than the first try.

This weekend I figured a lower temp and increased cook time would yield a better result...here's what I did:

--4 racks, started at 7 am with Minion method and Kingsford and 4 hickory chunks. Ribs were coated in Gulden's mustard and Head Country rub overnight.
--temp better controlled and around 205 most of the time. Had a small spike at around 9 or 10 am to 225 for awhile but was able to control it.
--lid opened at Noon for basting with Head Country spicy on half the ribs and Sticky Fingers Carolina Mustard on the other half.
--result was a better goo on the ribs from a shorter time on them, but they were also more 'jerky like' on some of the ends and edges. No improvement in tenderness.

I'm inclined to try the 3-2-1 with foil method this next weekend with the same number of ribs and what will become a 5 hour cook time. I plan on trying to keep the lid temp at 205-210 as best I can.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and will be tried out. I was in Memphis last week and had a half rack at Central BBQ. I've got a long way to go.

Thanks a million everyone.

Byron

Bryon, I don't have all the answers but here's my .02; raise your temp to the 225 - 250 range and foil. For my tastes I find 3-2-1 is too long of a cook for BB, I'd go closer to 3-1-1. If fall off the bone is what you seek, it's the easiest method.

One note, I typically do spares so my BB skill will not be as sharp as others. I'm sure someone who cooks more BB will come along and advise.

Bryon:

I cook my ribs (spares and bb's) at ~250 lid temp. Normally about 3 hrs unfoiled, then about 30 to 45 min foiled, then finish unfoiled till tender (tooth pick test). If the ribs weren't tender enough, you can either raise the temp a bit, or extend the cook time (I'd raise the temp).

Most members on here will probably agree that with the 3-2-1 method, 2 hrs in foil is too long. The meat becomes a bit too mushy.

Also be careful on what kind of sauce you are using, many of the commercial sauces have alot of sugar and it will burn if left cooking too long after being applied.

Other than the lack of tenderness, what specifically did you not like about them? Texture, taste, etc?

Hi Mitch:

Thanks, I for sure don't want mushy ribs and it's not like these were terrible but they ended up on the chewy side. Still pulled cleanly from the bone, but were chewy.

Central's ribs that I tried in Memphis last week were much moister (greasier) and really fell off the bone easily. But I don't think they foil. Go figure.

Other than that, taste, texture, were good. It was really only the ends or sticking out parts that got really done and chewy. Carolina Mustard sauce was just okay but the Head Country spicy was great. For sure 30 minutes is the max time to have the sauce on I think, though. It just gets too dark after that.

Thanks for the help...I was so concerned about undercooking that I think I've gone overboard in the other direction.

Byron

Do you know if the Central's ribs were baby backs or spares?

I really prefer spares over BB's because they are a bit fattier, hence more moist IMO. If you have yet to try spares, do a rack of spares next time along with the BB's and see what you think. I really hardly do BB's anymore.

The time spent in foil also helps with uniform cooking of the rib, too.

Good question, I don't know if I had spares or bb's at Central.

I'll give BB's another try this weekend with the help you-all are giving me.

Weekend after next I'll give spares a try. And will surely be asking for more advice. Thanks.

Byron

Bryon, something else comes to mind. If you were cooking at 205 lid your grate was probably around 195, not ideal for ribs. I'm a low and slow guy and that's even too low for me. If you raise your temp to 225 + you'll be golden.

Hi Miles and Larry:

I thought the factory lid thermometer registered a lower temp than on the grate as well. That's why I was trying to keep it around 205. Everyone seems to be saying 225-ish on the lid is what I should be aiming for so I guess it's worth a try. Thanks.

Byron

Can't help you on the newer WSMs with the therms, I have the old model and use a ET-73 or Stoker to monitor my temps, both are dead nutz on
icon_biggrin.gif

I don't rely on the Factory Therm, as I use a DIGIQ II and gauge everything off of it. That would be a pretty good lid temp gauge but lid only. I cook mine at 250 these days, but have done the 225* as Larry taught me a couple of years ago. In fact we did a bazillion racks for a graduation party two years ago right at the 225* mark and they were fabulous, and the guests ate em all up and even asked to do some catering.

I'm pretty sure that Central serves spares. I think that's accounting for a lot of the difference you're experiencing in your results. Though Central is **** good chow. I've lived here for two years and made a good many of the barbecue rounds. Central is so far my favorite joint. Germantown Commissary is a close second.

Back