Stoker Temp Probes

Murray Wilson

I am about to make an assumption and wondered if any others had some experience. Obviously, it would be desirable if my Stoker food probe and Dome probe read about the same amount when they were in the same temperature, they seem quite a bit off. Can I assume that I can 'tweak' the one that is way off using the 'cal' setting? Currently they are both set to Cal 37, but if I drop one to 35 or 36, they pretty much line up. Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Murray Wilson:
I am about to make an assumption and wondered if any others had some experience. Obviously, it would be desirable if my Stoker food probe and Dome probe read about the same amount when they were in the same temperature, they seem quite a bit off. Can I assume that I can 'tweak' the one that is way off using the 'cal' setting? Currently they are both set to Cal 37, but if I drop one to 35 or 36, they pretty much line up. Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can calibrate the probes with boiling water. There are procedures written up in this section, including links to find the water boiling point at your location. Adjust your cal so that the probe reads accurately at your boiling point. A couple of degrees won't make that much difference. I think the guys at stoker used to calibrate them but I suppose it can be time consuming so they stopped.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken Brown:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Murray Wilson:
I am about to make an assumption and wondered if any others had some experience. Obviously, it would be desirable if my Stoker food probe and Dome probe read about the same amount when they were in the same temperature, they seem quite a bit off. Can I assume that I can 'tweak' the one that is way off using the 'cal' setting? Currently they are both set to Cal 37, but if I drop one to 35 or 36, they pretty much line up. Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can calibrate the probes with boiling water. There are procedures written up in this section, including links to find the water boiling point at your location. Adjust your cal so that the probe reads accurately at your boiling point. A couple of degrees won't make that much difference. I think the guys at stoker used to calibrate them but I suppose it can be time consuming so they stopped. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep,
I noticed that the manual still says they're calibrated but there's nothing written in the back of the manual where the calibration information was supposed to be recorded.

They need to update the manual. Looks like it was written in a word processing program and printed on a regular printer. Shouldn't be that big of a deal to update it.

Hello,

I received a separate sheet of paper with my manual containing the serial numbers of each probe and the calculated temps.

Over the weekend, one of my four probes started reading way off. It showed temps such as -180F after being in my brisket for over an hour. I may have let the plug end get into the tray I was carrying the meat in after putting on my rub. Can anyone advise?

Thanks, Benny

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Benny A:
Hello,

I received a separate sheet of paper with my manual containing the serial numbers of each probe and the calculated temps.

Over the weekend, one of my four probes started reading way off. It showed temps such as -180F after being in my brisket for over an hour. I may have let the plug end get into the tray I was carrying the meat in after putting on my rub. Can anyone advise?

Thanks, Benny </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it got liquid in that plug end that contains the electronics, it's probably history. Does it respond when you put it in water and slowly heat it?

Neil,
Thanks for the help. I pulled the stoker out today and all the probes are working within 2 degrees of each other. That seems like a decent range for my use.

Benny

Back