Your opinon, please, on my proposed exhaust system...

Mack P. Bray

Well, today's blizzard was not conducive to firing up my WSM. We've had snow and wind almost continuously for about 3 weeks now.

I need a solution to barbecuing in our extreme winter conditions. I miss it...! Here's what I've come up with; your opinion would be appreciated:

I intend to place the WSM in one corner of my garage and rig a smoke exhausting system. I could buy a large diameter metal bucket to use as a collector, hang it from the rafters, mount a 4" in-line fan in the top of the bucket, run dryer venting hose from the fan up and out over my garage door. I could hang a fire/heat resistant cloth, such as ironing board cloth, from the collector that would shroud the WSM with plenty of clearance for safety reasons.

I think I'd be safe from heat, carbon monoxide and all the other undesirables.

Wadda 'ya think?

As long as you can get a little bit of fresh air flow I see no problems. But there will be many that say no don't, you'll kill yourself. Just get a Carbon monoxide detector and put it in the garage, just to be safe. I have 2 of them in my house because in the winter, I heat my house with a coal stove in the basement, and vent free propane gas logs upstairs. And many people die each year from coal stoves, oil furnaces, car accidents, heart attacks, blah, blah, blah. Just be smart, and you'll be fine.
P.S. I also use a turkey burner in my garage, with no vents.
icon_biggrin.gif

I’m not sure how safe that would but I guess as long as you had plenty as ventilation it may work. I agree, the carbon monoxide detector would be a must. Is there anyplace in your yard where you could build a well ventilated BBQ shed? Just a thought and good luck.

I think you should also watch out for gas fumes if you store a gas can or any other flammable liquid in the garage. Especially when you lite the charcoal.

I'm thinking that the fan and the shroud may be too much.

I'd be worried that you are pulling the air through the WSM too quickly, and exhausting the smoke before it gets a chance to do its job.

I'm going to agree with Toby, and say that 2-or-3 sides and a roof may be all you need - enough to block the wind.

Of course you can smoke in your garage. You can either keep the door open or rig up a vent system. The question is why would you take the risk. There's risk of fire, there's a risk of death and who knows what else.

I'm sure you could make some sort of wind break for the time and money you would put into your vent system and you'd be a lot less likely to have anything bad happen.

You can do a lot of things but sometimes you have to ask yourself why. Take a look at this.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

A BBQ shed or windbreak is out of the question; it would have to have an enclosed walkway or I'd have to shovel snow just to get to it and I've got drifts 5' deep. Some of our gusts are 60 MPH+. So the garage is my only choice.

The house is log so the garage is leaky; I think ventilation will not be a problem; I could crack a door if necessary. If I can find a carbon monoxide detector that works at low temps, I'll buy it.

My set-up is coming along; once I find a fan, I'll post a pic.

--

You've looked here? Enclosure page

I was always impressed with this little "smokehouse"
Enclosure

Getting to it would still be a challenge in deep snow. If you could set it up just outside a door, maybe it would work out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mack P. Bray:
I'd have to shovel snow just to get to it and I've got drifts 5' deep. Some of our gusts are 60 MPH+. So the garage is my only choice.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agreed.
icon_wink.gif

If you really must do this, then go to the scrap yard and get an old furnace blower. I made a giant fume hood for the brewery I had in my basement at my old house. I had a lot of draft and still had CO problems when I had more than one propane burner running at a time. I suspect propane burns even cleaner.

However, if you leave the garage doors open and have a big damn fan, it might work. Of course, that doesn't help with that whole 'burning down the house' problem
icon_razz.gif

You could consider a removeable electric conversion for garage cooking. Much less CO worries, less 'burn down the house' worries.

Super condensed version: don't burn charcoal use an electric burner. The heat source doesn't matter.

Something like this:

Pick up a single element hot plate (stand alone burner common in bachelors suites), discombooberate it, mount the element inside the WSM, get a longer set of wires to attach the burner and pass them through the access door ... with a gromet perhaps, might need high heat or some such wires.

Since you are smouldering wood, leave a window or external door open a crack and you should be good.

Put your wood chips in a cast iron fry pan on the burner. Try to get a hot plate with variable temperature dial, not just 2 - 5 settings.

oh yeah, exhaust ... perhaps a simple 4" aluminum foil accordian style or even sheet metal clothes dryer vent through a wall to outside and snugly fit over WSM top vent ...

run vent up from the WSM top vent a bit, perhaps a foot or two but not much higher and the heat + lift will create a natural draft (more height = more draft, too much draft *might* be a problem but would certainly be nice for air flow).

Stick the vent pipe a good foot out of the garage wall to reduce staining on the side of the garage.

Well it sounds like your gonna do this,so here's a few tips.Fire extinguisher, just to be safe.And you said you'd like to put in the corner of your garage.If you have exposed stud with fiber board sheeting,or exposed kraft faced insulation,you will need to cover it with a non-com material,drywall or cement board.And why not try a cheap bathroom fart fan,just hang it over the wsm on your ceiling joist's,I dont think that would place to much of a draw as more of a easy exit.100cfm. should work and I would get the metal flexi,and run it to a soffit or roof vent.And also a quick heads up to the neighbor's, to avoid having to explain to the fire department that you do not have a fire in your garage, just trying to make some que. Trust me on that one..
icon_smile.gif
Timothy

You should take a look at the Cookshack forum. I know they are electric smokers, but there are some creative exhaust venting ideas people have come up with, from Rubbermaid sheds to range hoods in the garage!
I agree with timothy, if you're gonna do it at least use cement board backers.

Disregard the bath fan, it will probably gunk up after a few cook's. Brian has a better idea, a range hood, 3 speeds and it has a filter.

Back