Wooden cart for WSM

Bradley Bruns

TVWBB Fan
I'm thinking of building a custom cart for the WSM.

My goals are:
1. Wind and rain protection for long cooks
2. Easy access to vents
3. Easy access to entire WSM for assembly/disassembly

I made a few sketches that show what I'm thinking of:

Shown with cabinet door closed

http://img118.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wsmcartclosednw4.jpg

Shown with cabinet door open

http://img118.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wsmcartopenpe0.jpg

The WSM will sit either on a large round metal pan or on casters. This will allow spinning for vent access, and also allow me to slide the WSM forward to assemble/disassemble the sections.
The flared portion of the middle section will be just above the table top. I may line the insides of the "half moons" with some high temp gasket for a good seal.

I'm still trying to think of a way to shield the WSM lid and rim from the rain during a cook. A small patio umbrella may work, but I don't like the idea of leaving that up all night and turning this whole thing into a parachute. I'd like to put a 22.5" kettle over the WSM lid, but the kettle lid is too short.

If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

There have been some pretty neat carts built, some similar to what you have in mind here - have you seen any of those?. I didn't find the links immediately, maybe someone else has them handy.

edit:
found a couple of links - search on "cart"

cart

cart

Thanks for your response Joel.
I've seen the pictures that you linked to, as well as dozens of pictures at The Naked Whiz.

These are very helpful.

However,as far as I can see these table designs do not address the issue of quick and easy access to the WSM sections. For example, I like to cook chicken on the top rack, and then crisp the chicken over the coals as described here.

Awesome plans! Is that Auto CAD?

I visualized a copy of Paul's cart and built it. It did great in the wind. Access is just fine. I'll try to get some pictures with the door opened. It's very nice to have a work top for plates, thermos, cutting board, etc... Cleaning is still a pain in the butt, but the sections come out the top, or I can take the bottom part out the door. Here's mine:

<
SmokerCaddy.jpg

I'm still really impressed with your plans.

Matt,

Thanks for your reply.

I created my sketches with Autodesk Inventor (same maker as AutoCad).

Actually, your cart is what inspired me to make one. The cedar + black hardware look is really sharp. All it needs it a few bottle openers.
icon_wink.gif
I'd love to see more pictures.

How high is the middle section rim above the table?

Originally posted by Bradley Bruns:

I'd love to see more pictures.

How high is the middle section rim above the table?

IMG_1638.jpg

Here's one with some ribs. I smoked these for about 6 hours in some very windy conditions this weekend. With 0 adjustments, it held a contant 225 degrees + / - 5 degrees.

IMG_1642.jpg

Brad, love your break away idea!!!! Allows great access to the WSM. Couple of suggestions. One, leave bottom where the WSM sits open. You may not get enough air flow from those little holes without leaving the door open a crack. Two, put wheels on front and back. My cart is really heavy to lug around. Four wheels make easily portable. Also, how do you get to your rear vent???

The breakaway looks nice.

I wonder if it could work with a stainless steel top...

If I were doing it for myself, I'd definitely put some power stuff in there - like a dedicated stoker holder that would be able to keep the stoker out of the rain - Maybe just route some electrical wire up through there and put an actual dedicated outlet inside there - and then give it a pigtail power cord that could be plugged into an extension cord...

I know those things would add to the complexity of it - but with my wife getting frustrated with how my stuff is strewn about - it might help.

One other interesting twist on it would be see if it would be possible to match the dimensions of the Performer - not because those are magic dimensions - but because then you could buy a Performer cover and use that to cover the whole thing...

Just a few more thoughts - these things look pretty nice!

One more thought - Why not weber whitewalls on the wheels?
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Ryan Gardner:
One more thought - Why not weber whitewalls on the wheels?
icon_smile.gif

I bought some lawn mower wheels that were white with black rubber. I can't stand the white-walls, therefore I "murdered them out."

Originally posted by Matt Allen:
I bought some lawn mower wheels that were white with black rubber. I can't stand the white-walls, therefore I "murdered them out."

"Lightning McQueen: All right, Luigi, give me the best set of black walls you've got.
Luigi: No, no, no! You don't know what you want! Luigi know what you want. Black-wall tires, they blend into the pavement, but these white-wall tires, they say look at me, here I am, love me."

(Ok, my 2-year old son watches Cars way too much
icon_smile.gif
)

This thread has inspired me to build my own cart. Built it last weekend. Used tung and groove pine for counter and sides and a water heater skirt for the insulation inside. It still needs to be stained... I'm temped to go Redwood cedar any other ideas.

Luc

Luc -

It looks great, Happy smokin'...

I used a water based stain, but I am also considering hitting it with an oil-based stain too.

Back