Setup of a Weber Summit S-650 on flickr.

RUB IT IN ! Now I got serious Grill envy
icon_smile.gif
. Seriously, thanks for posting. Those pics were great and really helpful to anyone thinking about placing an order - such as me. I'm, leaning toward the S-450. Got to wait to catch SWMBO out of town again.
icon_smile.gif

Paul

Dave,

Great photos. Thanks for sharing. I really like how the side burner is flush mounted vs. my D6. Also, that baby looked 95% assembled while the D6 came in many more pieces.

The whole blog of the Summit is
http://anotherpintplease.blogspot.com/2007/04/g-day.html.

I have been following his blog at http://anotherpintplease.blogspot.com/. Can't understand why he don't post more.

How does it handle large, thick steaks? How much does the temperature drop when the lid is opened when it is sub zero outside? Can he keep a 230 degree temp for a long period of time? How much smoke does it generate? Does he use the rotis burner to help heat the grill up? Will my LP hose that I hook up to my house work? Can I fit it in the wife's station wagon? How will I get it up to the rear deck or should I drop it off in the orchard and drag it down hill? Infrared books say 2 minutes on each side plus 2 minutes for an inch thick steak cooked to medium. How does this compare?

Sheesh.

Dave & David -

I am glad to see that you enjoyed the pictures of my 650. After having it a month, I am still impressed with it. David, here are my best answers to your questions:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How does it handle large, thick steaks? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great! The biggest challenge to me is the incredible amount of heat the 650 puts out. My old Broilmaster only kicked out 48000 BTU. The 650 kicks out 60000...and I feel it. For larger cuts, I sear both sides and then move them off to a cooler part of the grill. The results have been great.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How much does the temperature drop when the lid is opened when it is sub zero outside?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am not really sure. Although I had some chilly nights, it was never below twenty...let alone subzero. In moderate temperatures, heat retention is excellent.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can he keep a 230 degree temp for a long period of time? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, although only if it is not too windy. I would walk away and find burners out. Now at that time, the grill was not in its final resting place. Now, it is in a slightly more protected area, so I will have to experiment more. Typically, I will use the kettles for slow cooking, but the 650 is so versatile, I imagine I will be using it more.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How much smoke does it generate? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The smoker works great. The dedicated burner does a nice job of producing a good amount of smoke.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Does he use the rotis burner to help heat the grill up? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I have not.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Will my LP hose that I hook up to my house work? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am using the NG model. Although I do not plan on moving my grill, if I needed to, the ten foot hose is a great feature. The wheels allow the grill to move like it is on ice and the length of the hose gives you a lot of flexibility. Especially the quick disconnect coupling.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can I fit it in the wife's station wagon? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"In"...probably not. "On"...with enough webbing, yes!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How will I get it up to the rear deck or should I drop it off in the orchard and drag it down hill? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine was delivered and until it was unpacked, there was no way I was going to be able to move it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Infrared books say 2 minutes on each side plus 2 minutes for an inch thick steak cooked to medium. How does this compare? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been really happy with th 650. Not only is it functional, it looks great. I would definitely recommend it.

Happy grilling!

Mike

Thanks Mike.

I saw the pictures of the baby ribs. Noticed that you could stretch the ribs from front to back. How did you cook the ribs? Not on direct heat? I would be curious to see if you could fire off the smoke side to medium and keep the other side at a good low smoking temp.

Do you have to remove the grates in order to use the rotisserie? I almost got last years best weber but it looked like last year’s D6 required that. Ever think you could rotisserie a butt or brisket for 12 hours low and slow in a grill?

I am most concerned with steaks or chops. With my decade plus old weber I have to preheat 15-30 minutes to get the PCI greats hot enough to sear the meat. When I opened the grill the grill temp will drop sharply but the PCI’s have enough mass to retain their heat and produce good sear marks. Than, I bake the steaks to finish them off (front and read flame on, cook in the center).

I was in the grill store looking at a fancy “$100 per inch” grill. That two-thousand-seven-hundred-dollar small twenty-seven inch grill used two infra-red burners to sear meat at a thousand degrees. Two minutes on one side. Two minutes on the other. Two minutes on medium to take it from medium rare to medium-well and you are done. At least that is what the book for that grill says. I plan on taking a 3/4" Rib eye to the grill store to see if it is worth it. If the weber had a infra red burner, I would have the weber by now. It don’t and I am still looking. I hope to come to a decision by memorial day. Too bad no one around me carries the Napoleon brand.

My grill is shot. Actually, it was shot last year. Been getting bad enough to have me concerned. Frame weak every where; can’t tighten it up. I don’t think it will fall over; just as long as you don’t touch it. Bottom cast housing broke. Burner tubes cracked. Hot on the right rear, cooler on the left front. Drip tray falls off. PCI grates wore. Starter don’t start.

Hi Dave -

I usually cook ribs on my kettles, but with the 650 sitting there, I just had to try! I cooked them indirect. My smoking was pretty limited that night because I only had a few chunks of apple wood left. I was impressed at how well the smoker burned the wood...it was just too bad I did not have enough to do the job right.

I had a lot of problems with wind that night and kept having the burners go out. I think that was attributed to where I had the grill. It has since been moved. Otherwise, I have not seen any problems at keeping the grill low for a long slow cook.

I have not used the rotisserie yet. I know, I know...I should have had all of these features tested. Unfortunately, I have been just too busy as of late! The warming rack probably should come out for rotisserie work...in fact, the warming rack is in the way most of the time. I see no reason why you could not run something low and slow...if the wind is low.

Truth be told, I will use the 650 mostly for "quick cooking"...steaks, chops, satay, etc. I have been more than impressed with the searing heat. Part of this might be that my old Broilmaster was not putting out anymore. In 15 minutes, I reach 750 degrees. For me, that was new territory. I have had to adapt to getting a really quick sear and then moving my meat to a cooler part of the grill to finish out the cook.

3/4" rib eye? Now we are talking!

Like you, I suffered for quite a while before buying a new gas grill. I am incredibly happy with my wait and choice. I wish you the best of luck on your quest!

Mike

Back