It MUST be time....

Brad Benski

TVWBB Super Fan
I've always wanted to get into curing meats and Charcuterie in general but haven't until this point. With some time off this week the decision was made to do a Pastrami. So off to the store to get a brisket flat and start on the recipe given in this link: The Patrami Project
Out of the brine on Sunday and smoked on Monday.

Today I'm off checking out a new Whole Foods Market that has opened by my house. when cruising past the meat counter they have a stack of pork bellies. Never seen them at Whole Foods before (and I've been occasionally shopping Whole foods on/off since 1991). Picked up a small belly to make some bacon.

Well, since I"ve gone this far I may as well get the Charcuterie book. Before getting home stop by the used-book place and guess what? No!? Yes!?! They have it!!!!

Hence I say it must be time that I start making my own Charcuterie. Once I've finished off some venison then there is a freezer that is just itching to transform into a curing cabinet (well it's a chest freezer) for sausage and cheese.

Bacon will get smoked Tuesday week after next as I will be on the road for the long weekend next weekend.

Things just seem to be coming together more and more. Went to a butcher shop that I haven't been before but is 15 minutes from the house and they had Fatback, casings and #1 cure. Checking out the beef counter they had a sign offering Wagyu briskets! However their price was more than my delivered (i.e. with shipping) from Paradise Locker Meats. But it's a local source.

Just rendered some Lard from the fatback for sausages that I'll try in the near future. So far the plan is still the Pastrami Monday, Bacon smoked next tuesday (Ruhlman maple recipe) and who knows what else. May have to make some rye bread Monday too.

If you insist!

74451_1714984758242_1346888958_1839887_3965826_n.jpg

A full album of the cook along with the building of a Rueben sandwich is here: The pastrami experiment

Back