Best Shrimp in the World

M D Baldwin

TVWBB Super Fan
This is an Alton Brown Recipe. I have eaten shrimp my whole life and this is the sweetest, juiciest, shrimp I have ever had.
Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 23 minutes
Yield: 4 servings

4 pounds rock salt
1 pound jumbo shrimp (20 to 24 shrimp per pound), with heads on

Divide salt evenly among 2 (9 by 13-inch) metal pans divide salt evenly. Heat your oven to 400 degrees F and put the pans of salt into the oven to heat. When the oven reaches 400 degrees F, allow the salt to continue heating for another 15 minutes. After 15 minutes have passed, put the shrimp on top of the salt in 1 of the pans. Then cover with all of the salt in the second pan. The shrimp should be evenly and completely covered. Roast for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and check 1 shrimp for doneness. The shrimp should be opaque and white and pink in color. If not done, return to oven for 1 to 2 minutes. Serve immediately.

Jim,
On rare occasions when I can get head on shrimp I do, but usually not. I use medium to large shell on shrimp. For a variation I put them in a zip lock bag w/ some Old Bay Seasoniong and some white wine for a couple of hours or the night before.

It's easy to tell if shrimp are fresh. The heads quickly turn black if they aren't consumed or frozen immediately. That's why unscrupulous fishermen (very commonly on the West Coast, but not in seafood-savvy places like Lousiana and the Iberian Peninsula) decapitate them, so as to pass their less-than-fresh product on to the unwary consumer.

Best place I've found for head-on shrimp are Oriental Markets...
We seek them out for Thai ingredients, and almost always find whole shrimp.

I went to a food show and Alton Brown was there as the keynote and he actually cooked the shrimp you are speaking of live. THey are wonderful!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael Constable:
Best place I've found for head-on shrimp are Oriental Markets... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Best place for me is my neighbor Steve across the street. He brought home 1100 pounds earlier this week from about 30 minutes in Lake Pontchartrain. $2.00/lb. for mediums. Hehe.
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug D:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael Constable:
Best place I've found for head-on shrimp are Oriental Markets... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Best place for me is my neighbor Steve across the street. He brought home 1100 pounds earlier this week from about 30 minutes in Lake Pontchartrain. $2.00/lb. for mediums. Hehe.
icon_cool.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've once gone to the harbor around noon (when they're trying to get rid of everything) and offered a case of beer for shrimp. It actually worked.

Back