Pizza with the Kettle Pizza insert

Sean H

TVWBB Pro
Someone in my area was selling a Kettle Pizza insert on Craigslist. Since I had been researching these pretty hard, I decided to buy it.

Here's a shot of the setup. Sorry it's a little blurry...

And here's a shot of my first pie on the thing...

I apologize for not having any finished product pictures available -- I was too darn hungry to stop and take pictures. I was very skeptical of this insert until I started reading some reviews on how people were using it. Some thoughts:

1. This and the Red Sky Grilling stone are a good complement to one another.
2. I was able to get pretty high temperatures going across the pie, but I had to burn wood chunks to do it.
3. It makes for a bit of a fuel hog, as you can imagine.
4. This has finally enabled me to properly cook the top of a pizza on the grill.
5. My only criticism was that the stone did not quite get hot enough to cook the bottom of the pizza. I think next time I'm going to put a thin layer of coals underneath the stone (I was afraid of burning the bottom).

That's all, folks. I'm not sure I'd pay the new price for the insert, but if you can snag a used one I really recommend it. I have some things to try to make the whole process better, so hopefully I'll have some more pics to post soon.

How long did you preheat the stone?

I would consider doing a two stone set up. The slot will allow you to slide it between the stones, something I couldn't do with a regular lid

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
How long did you preheat the stone?

I would consider doing a two stone set up. The slot will allow you to slide it between the stones, something I couldn't do with a regular lid </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The stone was preheated for about a half hour. Don't get me wrong, it got pretty hot. Just not hot enough. But I think it was because I was too afraid of overheating the stone and burning my pie on the bottom. I'll be a little more fearless next time.

I think I'm definitely going to take the two-stone approach. The wingnuts on the top allow for another grill to be placed there, so I can then put a stone (or probably some fire bricks, since I have them sitting around) atop it.

Back