Chuck Eye Steaks

Andy Erickson

TVWBB Pro
Bought some of these at the local grocery store tonight and grilled them like I would a ribeye. First time I have ever seen them and they turned out great. I cooked them to medium rare and they were a little chewier than a ribeye, but for half the price were well worth the difference.

Are these similar to a flat iron steak?

Chuck Eyes have become just about our favorite cut around here - especially when I can get them for $3.98/lb.All too often, however, they are only $1.00/lb less than ribeyes. Yes, they CAN be a little chewier than ribeyes, but not always. We've probably cooked chuckeyes a dozen times in the past 6 months or so and only once did we get a pack that was "overly" chewy. Those were from Publix. I've been buying CAB chuck eyes from Piggly Wiggly since then and every one I've cooked has been delicious!

Congrats on the discovery - As for your question about whether or not they are similar to flat irons, both are from the chuck primal, but from different parts of the chuck. There are a lot of folks on here that are a lot more familiar with bovine anatomy than I am and I'm sure they will weigh in on the particulars.

Pat

I will keep looking for them when Ribeyes aren't on sale. I think I paid $2.99 a pound last night, when the Ribeyes were selling for full price at $11.99 a pound. When Ribeyes are on sale they sell for about $6 a pound down here.

Back