First Time Smoking!

Shawn Hendrix

Just picked up my first smoker this afternoon and decided to start off with Pork Ribs.

I did the weber 50 coal instructions, man that was a pain! But the ribs were pretty good!

Biggest problem was keeping it at 225-250 it wanted to float at 200. then I added more coals it went to 250 good to go. went off for a bit came back and it was over 300. However it was some good tasting ribs.

Also bought wood chips instead of chunks. Lots of lessons learned on this first go around.

Pictures

All Set up

IMG_6994 by Shawn_Hendrix, on Flickr

Weber Tower (You can see how little Charcoal I started with.)

IMG_6995 by Shawn_Hendrix, on Flickr

Sun Setting behind my new smoker

IMG_7006 by Shawn_Hendrix, on Flickr

First Smoke

IMG_7013 by Shawn_Hendrix, on Flickr

I just had to peek!

IMG_7014 by Shawn_Hendrix, on Flickr

Twilight as the Smoking Continues into the night.

IMG_7015 by Shawn_Hendrix, on Flickr

had to add more coals to get the temp up.

IMG_7020 by Shawn_Hendrix, on Flickr

The Results -

Over cooked but tasty

IMG_7022 by Shawn_Hendrix, on Flickr

The First rib.

IMG_7024 by Shawn_Hendrix, on Flickr

A Happy Daughter (Huge bbq fan)

IMG_7025 by Shawn_Hendrix, on Flickr

Looked a little better than my first set of ribs. And mine were over-cooked also. I think mine were a little more over-cooked than yours though. Its funny looking at those pics. You can tell it was your first time out cuz all your equipment was all nice and shiny
icon_smile.gif
I remember those days. Keep at it - its so much fun. And you should definitely go with chunks next time. Since you live in SoCal like me, see if you can find a BBQs Galore nearby. That's where I get my chunks from.

Well done Shawn!

Ribs look good and that view from your patio...wow. I'd be living out there. I now have patio envy
icon_biggrin.gif

Paul

Ribs look great! My first cook of ribs were also over cooked. I believe you are having the same issue as i did. I did not have my Maverick thermometer yet and used the lid thermometer. The lid thermometer i found out was 60 degrees lower than the actual temp.

My guess is you were cooking higher than you thought.

Hmmm is it just me or do those ribs look underdone? Were they tender or tough to get off the bone? They don't look dry which seems to me they weren't done yet...a good way to tell is the toothpick method...stick a toothpick between the bones and if it slides in effortlessly they are done..just a little tip! They still look good though, nice first cook! Love the shiny new WSM!

Oooohhhh so shiny, my precious.

Congratulations on your first of many,many,many smokes to come. This is an addiction you can enjoy.

Good advice Thanks! Yes the view is amazing, we have a view of all of burbank from up here.

As for the ribs, you could bite into them and pull the meat off the bone but it didn't just fall off. If you bit the center it would leave a bite shape chunk with all the meat left on either side.

All I know is that they were 100 times better than the trader joes pre cooked ribs that everyone around here brings to a bbq and people go "oh ribs those are so good."

Trying to decide what to smoke for the church potluck this weekend.

Don't look fall off the bone(overcooked) to me either. In fact they look pretty darn good.

Shawn by that last description I would say they are done just about perfect.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Sample:
Don't look fall off the bone(overcooked) to me either. In fact they look pretty darn good.

Shawn by that last description I would say they are done just about perfect.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was thinking the same thing, if they had been just been a little more pulled back on the ends they'd be picture perfect.

Great cook Shawn, and welcome to tvwbb!

Welcome to the board, and nice work on your ribs! You better get busy, though. The WSM and chimney look way too new and clean.

Pulled pork is a nice, forgiving thing for your 2nd cook. I don't know how many you are cooking for, but you'll be able to fit plenty in there.

Those ribs look really good but those pictures of the new smoker in action and the view are nothing short of spectacular. I want to live in California!

I wish my first smoke looked that good!
icon_smile.gif
Love the views you have too.

Welcome to the board, and to a wonderful addiction.

Shawn, you're doing fine... each cook gets easier and more fun... before long, they'll practically cook by themselves
icon_wink.gif

Your photos are SPECTACULAR!
Welcome aboard & Enjoy your stay
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul K:

I now have patio envy
icon_biggrin.gif

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, me too! Great looking ribs/pics/patio! Your gonna have looks of fun with your new smoker. Your daughter will love it too
icon_wink.gif

Back