• 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
• 1 cup warm milk
• 2 tablespoons margarine, softened
• 1 1/2 cups sourdough starter
• ¼ - ½ pound of cubed Asiago Cheese
• 1 extra large egg (Optional)
• 1 tablespoon water (Optional)

Directions
1. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, salt, and dry yeast. Add milk and softened butter or margarine. Stir in starter. Mix in up to 3 3/4 cups flour gradually.

2. Turn dough out onto a floured surface, and knead for 8 to 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turn once to oil surface, and cover. Allow to rise for 1 hour, or until doubled in volume.

3. Add the Asiago Cheese Punch down, and let rest 15 minutes. Shape into loaves. Place on a greased baking pan with a little cornmeal added. Allow to rise for 1 hour, or until doubled.

4. Brush egg wash over tops of loaves.

5. Bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes, or till done.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jennifer K:
Thanks for posting this, Bill. I love making bread and this recipe is next up! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One thing I would add: asiago is similar in taste to parmesan. I would go with a "lesser" aged one (soft) as opposed to a more aged (hard) one as the flavour will be milder.

à chacun son goût (each to his own taste)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian B (Muncy):
After it rises you say add cheese. Is it folded in and kneaded again. I'm being obtuse I know, just want to be sure </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya, you have to knead it slightly in order to mix the cheese in. Then it lounges around for 15 min.

I've made other cheese bread where the dough is formed into a pizza shape and the cheese is just sprinkled on then that is rolled jelly-roll style with the ends tucked under.

Does not work out as well as mixing the cheese INTO the dough.

Mix it in and let it rest.

Brian Len is right you let it rise and then you add the cheese after you knock it down. Try to cover all the cheese pieces cause they will melt and ooze over your bread.

Back