What do you use to manage your Recipes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

G Belton

I've been collecting que rub recipes for years but they are scattered about on paper, in computer files and in magazines. I'm thinking about using some sort of computer software to manage any new recipes. I doubt I'd have the time or energy to go back and enter the old ones. Unless they are particular favorites
icon_biggrin.gif

So the question is, what do you use?

G, many of us on TVWB have the Mastercook program. It is the best of the bunch…it has a slight learning curve, but has the most options of any of the newer cooking/recipe programs out there:

http://www.valusoft.com/products/mastercook.html

WARNING: Do NOT *download* the copy from ValuSoft -- it is not fully functional and they are working on it. DO buy the CD. For the money ($19.95) you’ll get an amazing amount of utility from the program.

Here is the unofficial “help” group for MasterCook, run by two or three (and more) very knowledgeable people who originally ran the help boards when MasterCook was owned by Sierra. Remember, though, that this is a HELP group and that most of the questions or problems come from folks who are having some problems -- you won’t find questions from the thousands or more people who are satisfied with the program.

Several of the members have researched other recipe management programs, thought one or two might be better or more flexible, and have come back saying that their other choices weren’t able to do all the things that MasterCook can do.

You might post any questions you have about the program on the MasterCookDiscussion group and you’ll get an informative answer:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MastercookDiscussion/

Rita

G, do play around with the trial version. If you like it, though, buy the CD instead of the download. For any questions, go to the discussion group; they can answer any questions much better than I can. There is so much more there than meets the eye; i.e. the format in which the recipes print...many options are available.

Rita

I currently use version 9 of MasterCook, which is much more robust than the older version I had before. The feature I like the best is the ease with which you can "grab" recipes from the web. Those days of re-typing or copy & paste are finally OVER!

Mike, I'm glad that you brought up the version number. #9 is the latest update and the one to buy, but I recently saw version 7 in 2 different computer stores, so you need to check carefully that you get version 9.

You're right, the Web Bar is very handy. It only works in IE, but if you use Firefox, as I do, there is an add-on available to "view this page in IE." All you have to do is right-click on it.

For in-depth information about Mastercook, a web site is available with lots of goodies and good advice at http://mastercook_cupboard.tripod.com/

Rita

Just for your information, here are the MasterCook upgrades in Versions 7, 8, and 9 of MasterCook
(from http://mastercook_cupboard.tripod.com/general_faqs.htm)

Rita

14. MASTERCOOK: What's New With ValuSoft's Version 7.0?

New Features:

Over 1,000 delicious new recipes contained in 2 new cookbooks - On Cooking and Food for Fifty. MasterCook Deluxe now has over 5,000 family tested recipes!

Includes the Food for Fifty and On Cooking (selected chapters) text books in PDF format. View an astounding amount of cooking tips, charts, reference information, recipes, and much more!

Download Recipes and Shopping lists to your PDA (Palm OS or Pocket PC). The included MasterCook software for Palm OS and Pocket PC allows you to add new, edit, and delete recipes and shopping lists. Make shopping a snap by creating one or more shopping lists and exporting them to your PDA device. Once in the store, you can sort your lists by store location and filter by have/need status - you will be in and out of the store in no time!

Compress your cookbook picture files to save disk space and increase portability of your cookbooks.

When browsing cookbooks for recipes, you can now filter recipes in the recipe browser by any search parameters including nutritional values, ingredients, cooking time, categories, etc. This feature will save time and headache by only displaying the kind of recipes you want to see. So if you are interested in seeing only vegetarian recipes when browsing, that is what will be shown!

Easier saved search management for saving searches you use often. Executing your favorite searches are only 2 clicks away!

Includes 12 predefined recipe searches for easy searching. From recipes with no meat to recipes low in fat, we've provided a base of common recipe searches.

More intuitive program navigation makes getting around easier.

Added ability to edit an entire field or context in the Find/Replace and Spell check screens.

Ingredients with no nutritional value are highlighted in the ingredient list.

Bug Fixes:

Fixed the problem in that prevented the ability to create/edit category templates.

The sizes of the combo boxes on the recipe browser were increased.

All columns in the shopping list screen are now shown by default.

The Clipart and Cookbook Covers included with previous versions of the product, are back on the CD.

==========================

15. MASTERCOOK: What's New With ValuSoft's Version 8.0?

Please see the program's help section for more details on using the new functionality in version 8.

*** MASTERCOOK WEB IMPORT BAR ***********************************************

MasterCook 8 includes a revolutionary new feature called the MasterCook Web Import Bar. This bar allows you to surf the web for more great recipes and simply add them to MasterCook without ever leaving your web browser!

Your recipe options are endless as this new feature puts the web at your fingertips to obtain countless recipes, while still using the powerful features of the MasterCook program.

The Web Import Bar integrates with Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or later. To begin using the bar after MasterCook is installed:

1) Open Internet Explorer
2) Click on the MasterCook icon (red “MC’ icon) on the toolbar of the browser**
3) The MasterCook Web Import Bar should now be showing on the left side of the browser.
4) Click on the Web Import Bar´s “Help’ tab to learn more about using the tool.

** Clicking on the “MC’ icon in the toolbar toggles the Web Import Bar open and closed.

NOTE: If your MasterCook Web Import Bar does not display in your browser after clicking on the “MC’ icon after installation, you may have to reboot your computer first.

*** MASTERCOOK BACKUP AND MERGE ***********************************************

The Backup and Merge software included with MasterCook 8 provides an easy way to migrate your important MasterCook data files. This software has 2 distinct functions represented by 2 tabs on the main screen: Merge and Backup.

1) Merge: If you have a previous version of MasterCook (version 4.0 and later) on your computer and would like an easy way to migrate your data to the new version, use the merge functionality of this software.
2) Backup: If you make frequent changes or additions to your MasterCook cookbooks, menus, meal plans, shopping lists, and other files, you should use the backup functionality regularly to easily back up your data.

To start this software you can:
- Launch it from the start menu by navigating to Start \ Programs \ MasterCook 8 \ MasterCook Backup and Merge
- Launch it from anywhere in the application by going to File \ Backup and Merge

*** E-MAIL SHOPPING LISTS *****************************************************
A handy new feature in MasterCook 8 is the ability to e-mail shopping lists.
You may want your partner to pick up a few things at the store on the way home from work,
or send it to yourself as a reminder.

*** OVER 2,000 NEW RECIPES IN 8 NEW COOKBOOKS *********************************
MasterCook 8 includes thousands of mouth-watering new recipes ready for you to make.
Whether you are a master chef or a beginner, there are recipes for you!

*** NEW SIMPLIFIED CATEGORIES **********************************************
All 7,000+ recipes have been simply categorized to make it much easier to find the recipes you want.

*** UPDATED INGREDIENT LIST **********************************************
MasterCook 8 has added and updated several ingredients in the ingredients to our already huge database of 6,000+.

*** BUG FIXES IN MASTERCOOK PROGRAM **************************************
MasterCook 8 includes several bug fixes in the program to make it more stable than ever before!

*** BUG FIXES IN PDA FUNCTIONALITY ***************************************
New in this version are several bug fixes that stabilize and improve the already handy PDA integration.

======================

16. MASTERCOOK: What's New With ValuSoft's Version 9.0?

MasterCook 9.0 Bug Fixes:

FATAL CRASH: Involving Recipe Editor with decimal fractions. In MasterCook 8 open the Preferences. In the General tab Display Amounts as Decimal Places (2). Create a new recipe with an ingredient using a decimal unit of measure, i.e. 0.5 teaspoons fennel seed. Select Change Recipe Units from the Ingredient menu. Select the fennel seed ingredient. The program crashes to the Windows desktop.

WEB BAR: Does not import time in hh:mm format correctly, i.e. 1:30 (1 hr 30 min)

WEB BAR: Ingredients not clearing when importing a recipe without an ingredient list after importing a recipe that does have an ingredient list

BACKUP & MERGE: Problems merging My Cookbook. Currently, MC will not overwrite a newer file (just installed with MC 8) with an older one (from an installed older version). But users expect that when they use Merge, their own My Cookbook from the older version will be merged -or their personalized version of a different MC cookbook. There should be a dialog box during Merge that asks if they want to use the older version of the file or the one just installed with MC 8. Furthermore, merge will not merge ANY cookbook from MC 7 if it has the same name as a cookbook installed with MC 8, even though the date stamp of the MC 7 file is newer (tested with MC 7.0 Deluxe). Added a "file overwrite" dialog to MasterCook 9.0 that fixes this problem

SPELL CHECK DEFAULT SETTINGS: When MC ships, ALL fields should be check marked to SpellCheck (people keep missing the Options button and think MC is deficient because it doesn't check Ingredients field).

BACKUP & MERGE: Merging ingredients. Selecting "No to All" causes problems.

INSTALLATION: Registry keys and start menu entries are sometimes left behind when uninstalling.

RECIPE BROWSER: Filter recipes shows all recipes when it should show none. When we are viewing an opened cookbook and FILTER RECIPES BY something and it finds nothing, instead of it displaying no recipes, it displays them all. If it doesn't find any recipes by that criteria, then it should show no recipes at all.

Three 10X13 envelopes, one for "most used", one for "sometimes used" and one for "someday might be used".

If you use recipe software, make sure you back up your recipes or print out paper copies. I had just set up a recipe software system when my hard disk crashed. I was happy I had the paper backups and didn't lose everything.

Rusty

You can do this on disc as well, I have an entire drawer full of printed recipes that I used to take with me when I worked. I have to go through them and see if there's anything worth keeping, as they are so old and I don't even know what's there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimH:
Three 10X13 envelopes, one for "most used", one for "sometimes used" and one for "someday might be used". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're organized! Mine are in little pile here, little pile there. My brother called me a pilot one time but then I was working on a ranch
icon_biggrin.gif

I guess I'm lucky since I have total recall. I have a certificate to prove it too. Just cant remember where its at right now.
icon_eek.gif

This master cook sounds interesting. Right now I keep all of my recipes in folders which really isnt very organized. It works, but it isnt fancy.

I am surprised that any of your who professionally cook do not use software! It's so much easier to do your shopping. Unless of course, you shop by phone and have it delivered. That would be nice!

I've used Mastercook but another good one is Living Cookbook. I've used it for about 6 months and really like it. It's super easy to import receipies from the web. There are also lots of options for outputing the recipes. Support is super - you can actually get answers directly from the developers. You can import recipes from Mastercook and many other programs too.

I have heard from several people who also like Living Cookbook. It does have a couple of advantages that MasterCook does not have yet and MasterCook has some functions that Living Cookbook doesn't have. A lot depends on how you want to use the programs. A Web Import Bar comes with MC version 8 and 9 and makes for a quick way to import recipes. It is very well liked.

But I must say that on the Living Cookbook site you should take the comparison chart with LC and MC with a grain of salt. *Many* of the things that are marked that MasterCook cannot do are incorrect and can actually be done by MasterCook quite well.

One example is adding photos. Photos can indeed be added in MC as the main photo and also added to as many steps in the directions/procedures as are needed.

The developers of Living Cookbook have been informed of the inaccuracies but it looks as if they refuse to make their comparison chart accurate. But that's an issue with the developers, not with the program.

In any case, Living Cookbook is well liked and is well thought out. Those who have used it also like it because it is user friendly. I especially like that the ingredient list is linked directly to the USDA database. MasterCook's ingredient list is based on the USDA database too but is not directly linked to it, but we can add ingredients and their nutritional profile to the ingredient list or change the existing nutrition of an ingredient. MC users are hoping the direct USDA link will come about in future upgrades - it will be a huge and complicated change, I'm afraid.

Rita

I've been looking at Big Oven which offers a 30 day trial. It's more expensive (29 vs 19 - 17 at Amazon) and I'm not sure I like it very well. You really have to use these things to see where the little annoyances are.

You are absolutely right about using them to check them out. Each will have a learning curve and every one will have something that's annoying, but compared to 10 years ago, they (at least MasterCook, and I'm sure others too) have improved immensely.

I don't know about the other programs, but there are a lot of websites that carry MasterCook-formatted recipes. One of the larger sites is Joe Comiskey's:

http://www.madsrecipes.com/

...which includes a lot of Food Network recipes and other well-known sources.

To those of you who use MasterCook.... I recently purchased version 9.0, and I am having trouble with it. The entire help file is corrupt, and I am unable to import..... I am getting other error indicators. I am using XP home and exceed the requirements. Has anyone experienced similar issues? Any suggestions?

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n... too many choices!
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back