Grilled goat skewers

So I was in Publix just looking at meat. Found a package labeled 'goat meat'. The package did not specify what part of the goat and was cut up in cubes. So for about $5 I said what the heck. Found a recipe here. So I trimmed the fat and bone out of the pieces and marinated them overnight. Put them right on direct heat.

DSC00130.jpg

Did'nt take too long to cook. Toasted some flat bread and served with the yogurt sauce.

DSC00131.jpg

Not a bad taste but not going to be my everyday goto meat. The internet says 75% of the world eats goat. I am guessing I live in the other 25%.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Zimmerman:
The internet says 75% of the world eats goat. I am guessing I live in the other 25%. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too, I have never tried it before either but yours sure looks good.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Solak:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Zimmerman:
The internet says 75% of the world eats goat. I am guessing I live in the other 25%. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too, I have never tried it before either but yours sure looks good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here!

Love the plating Brian.

I've been meaning to try goat for awhile. The best bet as far as I can tell for quality meat is to find a halal butcher in your area. They are becoming more common.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Not a bad taste but not going to be my everyday goto meat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not a bad taste but not going to be my everyday goat meat. FIXED
icon_biggrin.gif

I find goat very good, but I also love strong lamb.

The only goat meat i will eat is cabrito(kid goat)guisado, if you like carne guisada cabrito guisado is 10 times tastier. A goat is to old and tough to eat. You can buy fresh kid goats here in south tx year around.

Nicely cooked, but you are a brave man. A grocery store that I frequent often has chicken feet, but goat is kind of tough to come by.

We raise a few boer goats to sell and eat. We weather the males (unless they look good enough to sell as breeders) and they are wonderful table fare, even when they are past a year old. Last one we butchered was 4 years old, but the meat is delicious. Even the ribs and shanks were great. Just buy good meat. Consider buying a weather from the farm and butcher it yourself (just like a deer). Kill it quickly and humanely and handle the meat with care. You will love it.

I live in the 75% range of the world, I have tried goat since this was posted. Pretty good but not something I would eat on a regular basis.

I've eaten a good amount of goat since I'm fairly plugged in to the mexican community here. I've had some that was just amazing, but a very young animal, and then i've had others that taste about like the thing may have just fallen over dead of old age. Problem is, when it's cabrito asado...the born-on date isn't there! Always an adventure with goat!

If you're ever passing through Junction in west Texas, stop by Cooper's BBQ. They frequently serve cabrito (goat) on the menu. This location is owned by the son of the orginal Cooper who started the restaurants in Mason and then moved the most famous one to Llano. His other son had one going for years in my town; Round Rock; but sadly he's shut that business down.

Paul

Back