Texas > Austin: Iron Works BBQ

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Iron Works Barbecue
100 Red River
Austin, TX 78701
www.ironworksbbq.com/

In Austin for SXSW and Iron Works BBQ is right next door to the Austin Convention Center. Lots of people head over there for lunch, and I followed the crowd.

IWB is located in an old, historic iron work shop converted into a barbecue joint in 1978. You step up to the counter, order a bbq plate, a sandwich, or barbecue sold by the pound. All the usual sides are available; french fries at lunch only. Grab a cold bottle of beer or soda on ice and pay at the register. Seat yourself upstairs, downstairs, or on the patio overlooking the creek out back and dig in.

I ordered a brisket sandwich, a turkey sandwich, fries, and a Big Red soda. The meat on both sandwiches tasted good, and I liked the regular sauce. The amount of meat on each sandwich seemed lacking a bit, but given that I'd ordered two it's not as if I left hungry. The fries...not great. Skip them and go with something else.

Given that I'd eaten at The Salt Lick the night before and that great experience was still fresh in my mind, it felt like IWB was just a little bit of a letdown. But it beat whatever else I would have eaten if I'd stayed inside the convention center, so it's all good.

The biggest surprise about this place? From their website: "Custom Smoked Meats...$1.35/lb. Custom Smoked Turkeys...$1.75/lb. Bring us anything that you wish smoked, and we'll cook it to perfection. Ready in 24 hours. No minimum." Now that's an interesting service!

Facebook photo album of Iron Works BBQ

Regards,
Chris

Went back for lunch again today. Tried the sampler plate. Brisket (both point and flat), sausage, double-cut beef rib, potato salad, beans, bread, and an RC Cola. Better experience than yesterday. But with a lunch like that, who needs dinner?

Regards,
Chris

Not to jack your thread, but I've eaten there as well and had the same sampler platter, but with pork back ribs. I agree with your review, not the best, but really any BBQ in Austin is good BBQ.

Here's a few pics from my visit in October of last year (since I know you can't upload pics right now).

Austin-20111011-00192.jpg

Austin-20111011-00195.jpg

Went back for lunch again today.

Chris, if you're not on Q overload, I'd suggest a visit to Franklin BBQ just east of I35 in the downtown area. The best Q in the area IMHO, even better than anything in Lockhart. If you go, go early otherwise you'll be in line for a while. By early I'm talking around 11ish for lunch. Enjoy SXSW.

Paul

Very cool. I'd like to read your review of Franklin. The owner Aaron is a very nice guy and very dedicated to the craft. How long willl you be in town?

Paul

I had many lunches at the Ironworks. Cool atmosphere in the historic building with no AC. Great BBQ!!!

Went back for lunch again today. Tried the sampler plate. Brisket (both point and flat), sausage, double-cut beef rib, potato salad, beans, bread, and an RC Cola. Better experience than yesterday. But with a lunch like that, who needs dinner?

Regards,
Chris

I was in Austin last week and was determined to eat at an authentic Texas BBQ joint. I really wanted to go to Franklin's to see what the fuss was about but I was there for a conference and didnt have a morning off to do it. We did slip out a couple minutes early for lunch one day and run over to Iron Works since it is right around the corner from the Convention Center. Loved the building, loved the atmosphere, loved the unmistakeable smell of brisket when I walked in. Also loved seeing that big hunk of brisket on the carving table when looking through the window to order.

I had the sampler plate as well. I thought the brisket was cooked perfectly but was expecting a little more flavor. Maybe that is because I make it pretty peppery (that's a word). Probably also because I got more point than flat so there wasnt a lot of surface area to get much rub or sauce. I thought the sauce was good though, and glad they didnt put much on. The meat didnt have as much smokey flavor as I expected either but like I said, cooked perfectly, very moist, and very beefy. I am sure I would have had a completely different opinion if I would have gotten a piece with more outside surface area. Really impressive cook on it though. Best I've had.

The beef rib was very good. Great flavor and just about as big as my forearm. A little tougher than a pork rib would be but not tough in a bad way. The sausage on the other hand was as good as anything I have had. Reminded me of chorizo a little bit.

Overall, a great experience. We sat out back on the river and it was beautiful, even though it was a fairly hot outside. It was the only bbq place I was able to get to just because of the time we had and lack of mobility.

As a side note, it does appear that you cant go wrong with bbq in Austin. Leaving town I got a brisket sandwich at the airport and it was fantastic. At the freakin airport!

Back