Genisis Silver B changes next yr

M

MikeD

I was in a home DePot the other day and was thinking about ordering one in blue.
Well they told me no blues can be ordered,I thought that odd since an Ace hardware down the road can get them.

Also The Depot said they are changing designs next yr for the silver b`s.

What you think guys

Well I'll be anxious to hear about that. Hope HD keeps their deal on the PCI grates.

Seems like Weber changed the design a year or so ago, if I recall correctly.

Paul

I think the Home Depot is fullacrap! We don't even find out about next years changes till October! And Home Depot isn't supose to offer a Silver in any color other than BLACK. One of the exclusives for Home Depot is that the Silvers they offer have cast iron cooking grates. For this they only offer them in BLACK.

Thanks Joe

Guess I`ll order one in blue from Ace and get the PCI grates from HD.

yup as a retailer i can tell you that every year or two when weber changes the design of their bbqs for the next year (even if it's slight) they send out a notice of discontinuation of their models to dealers. what you have left in stock is one thing, but you can't order more or at least, you can expect that they may not be available if out of stock.

while we know webers are changing a bit for next year, we don't know what the change is yet. (2 years ago it was enclosed carts)

I was told that next year the Silver B will manufactured in China and that the spec will also be lowered with the stainless steel flavouriser bars being replaced by porcelain enamel ones, the drop down table will be removed and the swing warming rack will go.
Of course this may just be here in the UK, it may just be a rumour and we are yet to see what happens to the price point.
They significantly changed the Performer a couiple of years ago and the price point came down, I think that was well received.

Sounds like a rumour put out by a competitor to me. We'll have to wait and see, but that seems contrary to what I've ever known Weber to do. Their reputation has been made on quality and back-up service, with customers willing to pay a little more for that.

Paul

The Silver grills have porcelain enameled steel grates and flavorizer bars. At Home Depot they come with PCI grates instead, but as far as I know still with porcelain enamel flavorizer bars. Never stainless.

Remember I'm in the UK so export spec is likely to be different beyond just the regulator/cylinder fitting. The silver B has SS flavouriser bars and PC steel grates here but some retailers have exclusives (eg John Lewis has SS grates, an extra swing up table and a "pinstripe" on the hood) much as HD have the PCI grates in the US.
Also remember that we don't have anything like the same concept of customer care here!

By way of an update - I (almost) assembled my Genesis Silver B at the weekend - SS flavouriser bars and PC steel grates as expected.
However the interesting thing is the SS front doors say "P/N:88054,Description: Genesis Silver B Door Kit, Made in China" on the packaging.
This isn't a complaint, and I'm not in the US, just an observation.
I still need to get in touch with the shop because the igniter doesn't seem to work - no click.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James M-B:...
However the interesting thing is the SS front doors say "P/N:88054,Description: Genesis Silver B Door Kit, Made in China" on the packaging. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not to deviate the thread, but I'm about to come to the conclusion that this "china thing" is just something I'm going to have to get over and live with. While I'm just a country lawyer and don't have the knowledge of many on this board on global economics, I don't see how US manufacturers who are competing directly with others who off shore some of their product can compete on price without doing likewise. How many different ways can you make an storage door to a Genesis so that you can justify to the customer as "higher quality" which therefore makes them willing to pay a higher price ... ? Maybe fit ...? Americans think with their pocketbooks and its not likely to change.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James M-B:
I was told that next year the Silver B will manufactured in China </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you are half right.
the webers that you can buy from the box stores (you know who they are!!!) are going to be manufactured in China.
any "premium" weber gas grill sold by specialty retailers (ie fireplace and bbq shops) will still be made in the USA
as for the specifications of the grills...i can say this much - larger cooking surface and totally different look!

Jason

I see from a previous posts that you are a Weber dealer. I'm guessing a fireplace or BBQ store. I wonder what the % of Webers sold from the big box stores is versus independents ? Maybe that's proprietary info they don't let out.

Looking forward to seeing the new line with all those changes.

Paul

I just talked to my Ace Hardware ownwer who got it from...(a reliable source).

It sounds as if Weber will be making all their high-end products themselves. I was looking at a performer (399 down to 299 next month, but now for me), but I want to look around first. He said that for next year's Performer, the kettle will still be made by Weber but the framework for the stand and table will be lighter weight and will be made in China + they will sell for $100 less. Lower-end products such as Smokey Joes might be 100% overseas made. He didn't know about the WSMs and didn't mention the Qs.

Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul G.:
Jason

I see from a previous posts that you are a Weber dealer. I'm guessing a fireplace or BBQ store. I wonder what the % of Webers sold from the big box stores is versus independents ? Maybe that's proprietary info they don't let out.

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes, i'm a weber premium dealer.
the % of webers sold by box stores is far greater than that sold by specialty retailers. it stands to reason....2000 people a day walk through a home depot compared to a "mom and pop" shop. though we still get our fill of customers looking for nationally made products.

give me a bit and i may post some pix of the new webers!

Cheers!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">t </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't wait, my wife may not want me to see a new one, cause I-C-I-Buy.

Thanks for the link - what is it about a new Weber model that just makes me WANT IT ? Oh well, thus it has always been for me.
icon_smile.gif
My wife says she's going to bury one with me - I just hope she picks out the right one !

Paul

Amazon is showing Genesis E-310, E-320, S-310 and S-320 with the note "This item will be released on November 20, 2006. Pre-order now." They do not show up in a search for "Weber"; I found them by searching for "Genesis E" and "Genesis S" instead.

The E-series appears to have the enameled hood like the current Silver models, and the S-series has the stainless hood like the current Gold and Platinum. All have 3 burners, and the 320 models have a side burner. Whether these are the only new models is not clear.

According to Amazon, the new models have more BTU's than the current ones (42000 vs 36000) and the main cooking area is larger (507 sq-in vs 424). A completely redesigned grill, in other words.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rita Y:
He said that for next year's Performer, the kettle will still be made by Weber but the framework for the stand and table will be lighter weight and will be made in China + they will sell for $100 less. Lower-end products such as Smokey Joes might be 100% overseas made.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>This was my guess - what is the core operation of Weber?
1. Porcelain coated, shaped steel and 2. grill design. 3. Customer service.
The rest of the manufacturing can (reasonably) safely be outsourced.

Oh, and the higher BTUs look like they are in proportion to heat the larger grate to me.

btw Rita - I love my performer, I didn't want the gas ignition, just the cart - but now I'd find it hard to give up, it's the easiest way to light a chimney, even for the WSM. I'm sure you'll love it too.

Back