Sam's Choice Charcoal for a Tightwad?

Kent

TVWBB Member
Walmart sells "Sam's Choice" briquettes for about $.30/lb, about as cheap as you can get in California. Have any tried it? If so, how does it rank with Kingsford? Does it adversely affect taste?

I believe - and I may be wrong, so don't take it as gospel - that Sam's Choice is rebadged Royal Oak. Pretty decent stuff.

Hello Kent
I have used both. Now the one I used from Walmart was the Sams and they where bigger briguettes. I also had a question about this several month back. I thought the bigger ones you might have to use less than Kingford since they where 2times the size. Not so. I found that they where harder to start up than the Kingford. They leave more ash. But that does not bother me. A hole ring of the Sams burns about the same. On a warm and calm day 10hours or more of burn time,at about 250-275 using a full ring of cold coals and adding about ten of hot gray ones. For the price they are great. I like using the Kingford better. This year coming up when Homdepot has their deal on Kingford I am going to eat them all up.

sams choice is made by royal oak for wal mart thus the bigger briq. they work just fine and the ash is the same as k. have read some folks love the stuff and use it regularly. i use it if i can't find ro and don't have any problems with it. have done butts and briskets in my kettle with no issues differant than the regular briq.

I purchased a bag of Sam Choice last night based on the write-up. I’m very excited to give it a try, possibly this weekend. The price really is outstanding, hopefully it holds true to the positive feedback.

Back