Anyone with stoker ever notice?

Jeff T Miller

TVWBB All-Star
I have a stoker I would imagine it would pertain to any temp control system.

I have the stoker fired up tonight and it is the third time I have used it. First this is on my magnum and not my wsm although I doubt that will make any difference. My first burn last week I put a full bag of rancher on with about 20 or so lit to start. I put the lit on top and ran the temp at 270°. I started the fire about 8PM and at 7AM I found the charcoal to be really low and I threw on a couple of more pounds.

A couple of days later I fired up again. This time I had a pineapple juice can that I had cut out the ends and put coal around it and poured my lit inside the can then removed the can. I got it chugging around 8PM and the next morning about 7AM I about choked when I looked in the charcoal chamber. There was easily more than 3 times the coal than on my first cook. I even ran the temp higher at 290°. The coal was more evenly burnt also. On my first burn the coal in the morning on the side of the fan was gone and the opposite side had a decent pile left.

Anyhow I found it really strange that there was so much difference in how much difference there was in fuel use. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this similar results.

All my Stoker cooks burn the coal closest to the fan first when using the juice can. I have noticed I do seem to get longer burns when using my Stoker though. I thought it would be the opposite.

Jeff,
Your story applied to me ONCE, only. I can't explain why but was using Royal Oak. I don't know what else to say, lol. everything turned out fine though, hopefully you too. -Dan

Back