1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup cognac (optional)
1 cup parmesan cheese
Swiss cheese -- sliced
French Bread

Pour boullion in crock pot. Cover and set on high.

Cook onions slowly in skillet for about 15minutes, covered. uncover and add salt, sugar and flour. Stir well. Add to crock pot. Stir and add cognac if desired.

Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours (high for 3 hours).

When finished, add grated parmesan. We like to place swiss cheese in the bottom of a bowl, add soup and garnish with parmesan.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Our neighbors in college, were as short of cash as we were. When money was tight, they would make a big pot of this soup to stretch the food budget. At the time, yellow onions were about 10 cents a pound.

Thanks Keith,

This looks really good.
I had a girlfriend back in the 70's who would make French Onion Soup quite often but I never did get the recipe.
I really don't think she had one. She was a natural born Chef.
I do remember that it was an all day affair.
She would start by browning beef ribs in the oven and then they would go into a five gallon stock pot.
Then about two dozen onions were sliced up real thin and tossed in the pot skins and all.
She said that the skins added an important enzyme.
Then she would slice up about four more onions and saute them in a cast iron skillet until they were well carmelized.
These would go in the pot with a few other ingredients that I can't remember.
I know that one of them was about a half a cup of Tamari brand Soy Sauce.
Then the pot would simmer for about five hours.
She would then remove the rib bones,scrape off the beef and add it back to the pot.
She would then fish out the onion skins and the soup was ready.
After all that there was about two gallons of soup left in the pot.
Two gallons seems like a lot of soup but after family and friends came oner, it was gone in no time.
Forgot to mention that she would slice french bread real thin, sprinkle with parmesan cheese and toast them in the oven,
These we would float on our bowls of onion soup.
Those were the days.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim C:
She would start by browning beef ribs in the oven and then they would go into a five gallon stock pot... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I have to try this sometime...start by broiling the split bone (ala AB). and build the stock from there.

Back