guru... pitminder

Dan H.

TVWBB Pro
Now after several uses would like to post my honest opinion of my "10cfm pitminder guru" used w/ my WSM. Now after several several cooks using this device and learning all the do's and don'ts (no water, etc.) I would like to post because it would be something I would want to read if I was in someones shoes who didn't own one yet. Just my experiences though... I have found that its solid as a rock for anything being cooked for about first hour and a half or two at holding a desired temp. Around that time w/ out failure it slowly creeps up (about a degree every five minutes or slightly more) about an average of i'de say 8-11 degrees. w/ the idea behind it being awsome, I cannot seem to stop this. I have noted that its "happy" w/ temp when breathing about every three seconds or so, which w/ reading manual and just watching tells me its content. that may be 4 seconds but whatever it was at the time i noticed. It climbs in temp while seeming "content" not pausing to choke the air from the coals. w/ out fail every time so far (maybe 7 or 8 cooks). ONE time it held perfectly all day....? This is no big deal but i've learned to prepare for it, if i want 235 for most of the time i shoot for 225 before bed. I wanted one so I could sleep at night... all night w/ out thermometer alarm going off and so I didn't wreck expensive meat. (expensive to me w/ my income). I'm only human in wanting sleep. I'm just saying i feel it would have been better if I paid maybe 80 or so dollars less for it. I even opted for 10 cfm fan to just make sure it had what it needed for the control. If i were new I may quiz people about another unit I've heard of (cant recall name) although I know nothing about it, price or anything. Overall i'm happy w/ it though, dont get me wrong. I always feel like im going against the grain around here lol. Just some thoughts for some of you. I's apparently a branch of something called "thermotech" i believe, but also the "high tech thermometer" doesn't read close to my three others that are within 3 or 4 degrees of one another, this really doesn't bother me at all, I just turn knob to adjust, no big deal at all but again... what the heck, lots of money for this puppy. def. feel that before obviosly the wsm by itself hold excellent, excellent temp. control. I've often been confused as to why it would matter, no matter what a person does wrong (used water in pan for example) why it cant do like it is suppose to and "choke" the air when temp. went up, or blow when went down. but I dont know, i'm the kind of guy who laughs at myself for running ext. cords through cat doors and having wires and stuff hanging off my cooker, too. I feel my "technology" in smoking has gone far enough, lol. Have a good one hope this helps at least someone. -Dan

When this problem occurs, is the blower still being activated, even though the current temp is above the target you set it to? If so, I would talk to the company as that can't be right. Once the temp goes above target and stays there, the unit must turn off the blower.

Now, if the blower is off, and your temp is above target for extended amount of time, then there is an air leak. The controller can only increase the temp, it can't lower it per-se. All it can do is starve the smoker for air. But if air comes from other sources, it loses its only mechanism for lowering the temp.

On my stoker, I have no trouble maintaining temps day in, day out within 1% or so. And of course, we have computer control and graph so we can see the above answer just by looking at the graph (also easy to show the manufacturer any issues like this). But stoker would have the same issue if there is an air leak.

Hey Dan,

I think I follow what you saying. Are you talking about wide temp swings later in your cook? I have a Stoker and experienced the same issue, then I heard of someone using a clay saucer with their Stoker, he sent me a couple of graphs and the temp. were dead on +/- 1 or 2 degrees. I had the saucer laying around as it's what I used prior to buying the Stoker. Threw here in there, ran with my top vent 100 % open as opposed to 1/4 open without the clay saucer and damn if that didn't fix my problem. Here's a PICTURE of my graph with the clay saucer. Here's a PICTURE without the clay saucer. Look at the later part of this cook (5:00 a.m.), I'd see this action on almost every one of my cooks.

Hope this information is helpful and I addressed what you were commenting on.

Larry,

I feel like you've absolutley nailed it because I had kind of givin up and accepted my issue, which isn't a huge one anyway but you know. If i was to have a graph lets say... It really would look exactly like yours w/ out "clay saucer." But I wonder how many people you have heard say this same thing? I guess im positive you got it because i've done ridiculous things..... first i feel i was lucky enough to recieve a pretty air tight unit, barely "fixed" an out of round issue that was basicly nit picking and not worth fussing over i'm sure (after reading many things similar on this board) and even at that foiled all possible holes.. and i mean ALL, and those holes were nothing if that makes since. I to have my vents about 2/3rds closed because of posts on here and there. basicly not sure what else to say except for the issue like you say yours was, is very consistant, to consistant to be anything else wrong. So if you dont mind what does it take exactly to try to get this working for my wsm you suppose, i mean the whole saucer thing i've read about but is new to me, and do you really think it may help being its a different style smoker? I appreciate this very much... again. -dan

Actually after studying your graphs closer mine wouldn't have been identical, but close enough... i'll try my words one more time, sorry. I put food on and set guru, none of which is a problem at all, i mean i hit about 232 for example in 5 min. last night..easy eh? then I go in house, hang out bout 15, or 20, or even like a couple cooks ago maybe an hour, before bed. the whole time temp. is about give or take 2 235 degrees. Now at this point im in bed and cant swear anything but, when i HAVE witnessed it durning ribs or something during the day it seems to hold temp. for like hour or hour and a half and then starts slowly "sneaking" up. Up to around and average of 10 or 11 degrees. THEN stops, basicly rollin at 235ish then all through about an hour worth of time it would be at 245...(example) so if im awake i fix, if im asleep... i dont know oh well. Thats where i learned to set it lower, lol. sorry hope thats better

So it's not dropping below your bottom temp, just overshooting the temp. In this case I still think the clay saucer may help as it acts as a heat-sink but not as dramatic as water. I'd give it a shot, you can pick-one up at Home depot for around $6. I put mine the the water pan and then cover with a single layer of HD foil.

Let us know if you give this a try.

i've read in old old post previously to make effort not to waste space on the site so I appologize if I kinda am, but one thing is I'm not tottaly sure were on the same page but darn close if were not. Looking carefully at your chart (which I wish I had something like that to show you) I'm looking at around 2:00 ish for your no clay chart... if it were mine, mine would have kept that climb to 250 and then been perfectly level (as yours) probably for the rest of the day i'm assuming. This is very strange to me as I've never read exactly that before from anyone else... but overall no not really ever dropping below except maybe 2* worste... only thing I could think is..."well the meats not warmed up, so I guess when it does warm up it was apparently what was taking up that 10*" of course im not to quick either.. besides my conclusion was that this was a temp. control unit, I just thought it should catch the 10 or 11 degree difference, no matter what period. Therefore my final thought was that was just its tollerance, +or-10 degree's.. pretty strange. you dont have to respond if you dont want but thanks a million and I'll get a clay saucer anyway and tinker w/ it some more, ussually I can figure things out i suppose, have a good day. -dan

not to waste space on the site so I appologize if I kinda am,

No worries here Dan, trust me I've posted some real doozies (sp?) on this site.

Here's a question, where are you running your top vent? Maybe I missed this in your previous post but I'm wondering if this might be contributing to your issue. I'd play around with how much you have your top vent open. Maybe start at 1/4 open and go from there.

well, except for very first time used, I had read in several different places that it should be closed, well basicly as much as i could get it.. i always had it about 2/3 closed (i pinched my therm wires) I'm thinkin Larry that this never sounded quite right, but then again, you may find it hard to believe w/ what my guru is doing unless you could stand there w/ me and watch it, lol. but back to TOP vent. I am going to play w/ that. Being lucky enough for this to be a pretty air-tight unit as far as i'm concerned, I'm going to try leaving it open w/ some clay. I wanted to play w/ that someday anyway. I kinda thought that maybe it was silly to think air may draw in through the top vent, therefore affecting guru preformance, in the first place. But then again, I dont really know that either for sure. I do know for sure (esp. at start, etc.) its very clear that smoke, volcanoes out of the top vent, lol, making it clear to me no air infiltration would be going "IN." LARRY you didn't get me started w/ closing the top.. DID YA? LOL! anyway i will play w/ it, I'm happy you responded cause it is very strange to me, plus i'll be tickled if i could stabalize it totally for once, although i've lived just fine w/ it i suppose. Thanks for not leavin me hangin amigo. good evening and i'll let you know, its man vs. machine -dan

i use a 4cfm fan with my pitminder and my temps never go more than +-3 degrees of what i get it set too. you probably should set the 10cfm fan damper to the halfway point as 10cfm is a little much for a WSM.

edit. you do have the 2 holes taped over in the daisy wheel that the fan mount is in right? i also taped over the othe r2 dampers too just to be sure no air leaked in.

after a day or two of thinkin, this darn things gone, one way or the other. I'm not gonna type all the stuff I'de like to cause i'll just sound whiney (and I am
icon_smile.gif
). I understand this thing works good for most, but i've never been most anyway. One more thing I woudn't mind sharing w/ someone who may consider buying one. if you look back date-wise on this section of forum, there ARE others that question this thing, esp. its "off" thermometer... i'de expect thermotech or whatever to mean "closer then 14 degrees." or more. And the guru websites Q&A section.... give me a break, does no one else see the dumbness.... what a joke. This is not a question.. "This sounds like the ideal solution to bbq cooking!!!" ya! da-heee da-heee... I don't trust them dudes. or five word silly question like "is there a better way of cooking w/ out these thermal mass devices?"... well cmon guys whats it gonna say... of course a whole darn paragraph about how cool they are... anyway they did respond to my email and of course as expected wont give money back, they must "troubleshoot" it first... maybe he should troubleshoot my food saftey concern of my last pork. Just one mans opinion, I really am a nice guy (ya you'll believe that
icon_smile.gif
), thanks for all the help, hope this is usefull to someone looking to buy one... can't believe Larry wont trade me strait across...thought we were buds..
icon_smile.gif
-Dan

Sorry to hear you're ridding yourself of your Pitminder, Dan. I have 2 Competitors but only use them in Pitminder mode, i.e. pit temp only, and I've experienced some of the frustration you mentioned but I've had no problems dealing with it. If you really want to "deal", contact me ~ I'm looking for a 3rd Guru/Pitminder.

Bill
icon_smile.gif

I may Bill, I'de like everyone to understand one thing so as to not get the wrong idea. And that is my conclusion is that either a) everyone needles and pokes at them more then they should to get a good temp and b.s. es about em cause there "cool" and "in".. (which I cant imagine...) or B) I truly got a lemon which they might diagnose. Im totally out of ideas though, I did a SUPER job w/ out one and the guru makes me feel bad like I suck at bbqin... even though I do. just jokin but I know if you experienced this then you'd understand. I'll keep postin and let you know.. Im glad you said something cause truth is im a guy.. and guys dont think.. and god honestly no joke I think I lit my chimney w/ the paper work it came w/ they may not appreciate that.
icon_smile.gif
-Dan

Dan I just recently acquired a used Pitminder myself, so like you Im in a very steep learning curve. Ive had times where Id look at my tel-tru therm mounted on the lid and it was reading 10-20°F colder than what I set my Pitminder at. I have come across this in using the Pitminder, its not exact more of "In the Ballpark", atleast for me.

Now you may have a bad unit I dont know. This is how I use mine. I preface this by saying I have the 4 cfm fan model always use MM. I add a few rolled up pieces of HD foil into the water pan and foil the water pan and leave empty.

To get the WSM upto temp I dont use the unit, I open all bottom vents to 100% open and let the WSM heat itself up that way. As temps climb I set my Pitminder up to desired temp, now when the WSM is within 20-30°F I will go ahead and turn the Pitminder on, close the bottom vents and leave top vent open 100%. The damper on the Pitminder fan is all the way open (remember I have a 4 cfm fan).

Now I tried using water in the water pan once and using the clay saucer also. It seemed to me that my WSM just wasnt getting hot enough. So I went to the foiled empty water pan, with better results imho.

Now I just did my first Pork Butt cook last weekend. It came out great and the Pitminder worked as expected. However 8-9hrs in I had to stir the briquettes, and again at 13hrs in. The Butts finally came off at 195°F with a cook that lasted approx 15hrs for 2 Butts weighing 6.5lbs each. Hope this helps.

thanks Eric. I too used foil all times except first time. Ironicly if I remember right that cook kept the closest temps, along w/ maybe one more. I'de have to guess I've cooked w/ it now about 14 or so times, maybe a few less. As of right now I wouldn't use one if it was givin to me, and I paid 170 some dollars to get one shipped to me, thats 170 dollars plus whatever amount of food turned out not well, plus i'm paying to ship it back to them to (troubleshoot) probably tell me its fine, and i'm preparing to hear I cant get a rufund (just a guess). I took a while to wake up and realize how darn good the wsm is by itself, but that wont happen again. If I get a phone call saying that it seems to be in perfect condition I'm..... I don't even know what i'll say, i'll pry just stop posting period and really think its super crappy, I'de honestly like to warn you guys one more time its a lot of money for that thing, if I bought a tool for my job like that i'de throw it in the trash for it would cost me big time. But my last post i'll make (in case it helps someone whos debating a purchase) will be if they caught onto a problem... or if its fine. If they claim it to be a lemon and send new, i'll use it a few more times and see...but if they say its fine, i'll post "they said it was fine" but thats all i'll type. At that point you can only imagine what i'll think of the "guru"
icon_smile.gif
-Dan

the dial on the pitminder is not very accurate and you do have to fiddle with the dial to "dial in" the temp you want. but once you get it where you want it, the pitminder does what it was designed to do and that is to keep the pit at the "temp" the dial is set too. you still need an accurate therm sitting with the the minder probe to see where your temps are in relation to what the dial is set too. i would say you must have a bad unit because i have a 2nd hand pitminder that a friend gave me after he upgraded to a digi-q and i have not had a problem since day 1. it didn't take me but 1 time to realize 220 on the dial is not necessarily 220 on my maverick therm.

Originally posted by Tony C.:
the dial on the pitminder is not very accurate and you do have to fiddle with the dial to "dial in" the temp you want. but once you get it where you want it, the pitminder does what it was designed to do and that is to keep the pit at the "temp" the dial is set too. you still need an accurate therm sitting with the the minder probe to see where your temps are in relation to what the dial is set too. i would say you must have a bad unit because i have a 2nd hand pitminder that a friend gave me after he upgraded to a digi-q and i have not had a problem since day 1. it didn't take me but 1 time to realize 220 on the dial is not necessarily 220 on my maverick therm.
Tony, I know on my Competetor there is a small set screw on the dial that I can loosen up and move the dial to get it just right. Just another option for those who have units that read way off.

Originally posted by Bryan S:

Tony, I know on my Competetor there is a small set screw on the dial that I can loosen up and move the dial to get it just right. Just another option for those who have units that read way off.

you are trying to screw me all up. i have it down pat now
icon_biggrin.gif
i got the WSM and pitminder going now. up to 145 and dial is set on 225. i'll have to see if there is a dial set screw. i just usually keep an eye on it and when it gets within 20* of what i want i throttle the dial down a little and tweak it from there to get my temp. my dial has never been way off anyway, maybe 20-30 degrees

Back