Pepper Grinder / Mill

Matt_G

TVWBB Fan
Can anyone recommend a Pepper Grinder?
I use lots of fresh ground pepper now and it just takes too long to get enough out of my small grinder.

I'm considering just getting a basic electric coffee grinder or spice grinder too, but I'll probably still want to have a hand-cranked pepper mill that can put out a decent amount of product.

Some of these look good, but I've not inspected them first-hand.

William Bounds Espresso Newtra Peppermill
 For the connoisseur  

http://www.kitchenfantasy.com/Pepper_mills.htm

If all you want is volume then you can't beat the Magnum line of mills. I have both the salt and pepper mills plus two mini magnums. They also have customer service that is on par with Webers.

William Bounds
I have several William Bounds mills and really like them. The 3 postion grind (fine, med, course) selection is great. Way better than the one I have that you just tighten the the nut on top tighter or looser to get the size grind you want.
If you really want to grind a lot at a time, get one with a crank on top and not just a 'knob'.

Originally posted by Chris Finney:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">William Bounds
I have several William Bounds mills and really like them. The 3 postion grind (fine, med, course) selection is great. Way better than the one I have that you just tighten the the nut on top tighter or looser to get the size grind you want. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep agree with Chris. I have 4 of their mills and they are awesome. Get the 3 position ring mills as Chris said. They rock and then some.
icon_wink.gif

I'm in the market for a good pepper mill too.

How can you tell if that has the 3 position ring mills as stated above?

JimT

Originally posted by JimT:

JimT
Jim, It says in the description and you can see the ring under the top knob that you turn when grinding the salt or pepper mill. Link for you. I bought my mills there.

Originally posted by JimT:

JimT

I called customer service and they told me.
The other thing they said was that it works by crushing, not grinding.

I'm with Bill Pearson above - I LOVE my Magnums. I have the regular Magnum shown in his link, and also the red Mini-Magnum that I use for white pepper.

Keri C

I'll third or fourth (whatever) the William Bounds units.

I have one of the smallish ones with a clear body (not real big on the clear body - it shows messy handprints etc. - on the other hand, I can see how full it is). Williams-Sanoma stocks this one.

The 3-Position Ring that others have been referring to is in addition to the ternsion knob that is traditionally found on most mills. It's sort-of like this:

Once you have it set, you can simply twist the ring to select (3) different grinds:

-Left-Most "Click" = finest setting
-Center "Click" = medium grind
-Right-Most "Click" = coarse "cracked" pepper

I love the coarse setting, with kosher flake salt for my steaks - gives me a nice "crust" when seared (man, I'm getting hungry!)

I too, am in the market for a high output pepper mill. I'm tired of it taking more time making the rub than smoking the meat!

I notice the William Bounds mill that Matt G linked, has some poor reviews on Amazon--is it just a matter of folks not knowing to clear the mechanism of whole corns before adjusting the grind? Thoughts?

Originally posted by Kevin Hoober:
I too, am in the market for a high output pepper mill. I'm tired of it taking more time making the rub than smoking the meat!

I notice the William Bounds mill that Matt G linked, has some poor reviews on Amazon--is it just a matter of folks not knowing to clear the mechanism of whole corns before adjusting the grind? Thoughts?
I own 3 of them and I give them 10 stars. Best mills I've ever owned. I'm need to get another 2-3 yet and they will be the WB mills.
icon_wink.gif
All you have to do is turn it upside down give a twist to diss-lodge any corns and move the ring. Easy peasy.
icon_biggrin.gif
I think you'll love the WB mill.

Back