Started construction on my new WSM cart / wind block

Bob Hunter

TVWBB Pro
This project is something I have been planning in my mind for the last year or so. Ever since I had a cook ruin ed because of wind. My original intentions where to build something like this one built by Bren Hickey and featured on this site. Well as happens on just about every project that I do, I found myself in the middle of a huge scope creep
icon_biggrin.gif

This thing is turning out to be a monster. It measure 72"L x 33"W x 48"H. The right hand side is going to be similar to Bren's construction, it will completely open up exposing my baby, this section is 32"x32" and will be foil insulated. The right hand side will be a work bench, storage area, plus will house a Panel PC that will be hooked to my stoker (Like I said scope creep). It will have a large Cutting board that pulls out for ease of use. And I feel that there will probably be many more enhancements as the project proceeds.

You can visit this gallery to see my progress.

Of course with my busy schedule this project is going to take a few more week to complete.

This stuff is so much fun
wsmsmile8gm.gif

That looks like it will be nice when finished! I don't have all the tools to make something like that, but I wonder if it will have wheels so you can move it?

Thanks Mike,
Yes it will definitely have wheels. I just haven't decided which way to go on them, wagon style or casters. I suppose I should decide this sooner rather than later in case it affects my constructions

Well construction continues, You can check out my progress here .

Made a design change on the fly last night, didn't like the way the doors worked in this configuration. There was too much flex. So I changed it to work like this.

The weather and the wife have put a stop to continued progress for this weekend, but there is always next
icon_smile.gif

I'm not a carpenter by any stretch of the imagination, and I am sure a real carpenter would have lots of things to critique on my project, but I think it is progressing quite nicely.

Time go fire my WSM for some Beer can chicken
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Bob, like the way your doors open up. It gives you almost complete access to the WSM. The problem I ran into with my cart is it's hard to put charcoal in when the unit is assembled also the Weber chimney is kind of big to dump when you've got a full load of charcoal in the ring.

Thanks Paul,
I like the way the doors worked out. I preferred the original fold out design but it flexed way too much.

One problem with my design that I have discovered. The base frame is not rigid enough. The way it is flexing depending on where it is sitting is causing problems with the door alignment on both the WSM side and the work bench side. I haven't decided if I am going to doing anything about it yet, if I do I will probably just put doulbers on the frame.

Whether I change it or not; if I were ever to build something like this again, the frame would be much more stout.

Well the major construction is complete. I finished the lids this evening. My next step is to start the staining and clear coating it. I chose a Varathane stain "Cabernet" a nice redish color. And I am using a Spar Urethane for the top coat. Hopefully I will have it completed before Christmas
icon_wink.gif

Check out the pics.

Work side

Smoker side

Closed up

Bob, a couple of questions. Can you smoke with it all closed up? Is this unit mean't to be outdoors all the time?What does she weigh? Nice job!!!!

Hey Paul,
The short answers to your questions are Yes.
I have a smokestack, and foiled insulation to place on the WSM side. I am planning on leaving it outdoors year round, I do not have anyplace indoors to store it. Living in Southern California, the weather is not too much of a concern. I am finishing it with several coats of Spar Urethane to weather proof it. I also am going to make a cover for it.

Right now I think it probably only weighs about 120 pounds or so. It is not very heavy at all.

I started staining it yesterday, got about 1/2 done with it when I ran out of stain. I thought for sure a quart would cover it. Boy was I wrong, at least 1 more quart is going to be required.

I have also blown my budget, my wife put her foot down yesterday. I am about $300.00 into it and could probably spend another $100.00. Really the only part I haven't been able to do yet is the shelves and drawers on the workstation side. I will have to treat the shelves as a work in progress, and slowly build them after I have the rest of in service.

Bob, don't know if you already have considered this or not but you may want to put some locking slides on the uprights for the tops.

Good eye, I actually have them, just haven't install them yet. After the finish is applied I will complete he hardware install. This includes the slide locks, latches, handles, and the chimney.

Well, its been kind of a bummer since Thanksgiving, I managed to get the entire project stained, but I have been way too busy to weather proof it.

There goes my hopes and dreams of breaking it in on Christmas
icon_frown.gif

Looks like I won't be able to get back to work on my project until at least the second week of January.

Thanks Scott, this has been a fun project to play with. Work and the holidays have gotten in the way of progress, unfortunately.

As I am working on this project, I am creating a set of as built plans and a bill of materials.

There are several things I have done that I feel could be done much better, so the as-builts will also include lessons learned.

Once I complete the project, I will post links to both of these.

Finaly got back to my project.

Here are some new pictures.

The finish is done, time to start trimming it out, with the electrical outlets, lights, computer and network for my Stoker.

I have moved my project onto the back porch and my WSM is in its home now.

Here are some pics.

I still have quite a bit of work to do on it.
1) Smoke stack on the WSM side
2) Electrical on the prep side.
a. Lights
b. Power for the stoker and network gear.
3) Shelver and drawer on the prep side.

What do you think?

Looks great to me. Like the insulation as well. you mentioned smoke stack on WSM side any air inlets in the bottom area, just curious, don't know if you need them or not. John

The base is built with about 2" on each side to allow for air intake. Here

I just wish I had bought the insulation that is ridged board as opposed to the blanket type. I think the board would have been a cleaner installation. The blanket will do the job though.

Bob
You know your stuff. I think you could sell those if you wanted to. Looks like it will do the job. I think at some point I should get around to doing something like that. John

Thanks John, in the pictures it looks better than it really is. There are a lot of things I would do differently if I were going to make it again. Can't wait to christen it tomorrow with 4 racks of BB's.

Back