Smoked trout spread

DWolf

TVWBB Member
This spread has been a great hit everytime I've served it. Keeps for about a week in the fridge in the unlikely case you have leftovers.

Smoke 2 whole cleaned rainbow trout at 275 for about 45 mins or until just done. I used Alderwood to smoke mine.

Remove from the smoker and let cool. Remove the meat and put in a food processor along with 4 oz of cream cheese and 4 oz of marscapone. If you can't find marscapone use 8 oz of cream cheese, it'll be fine. Add a couple cloves of smoke roasted garlic, a pinch of salt, and a pinch (or more) of cayenne.

Process until just well combined.

Adjust seasoning and serve. I serve mine with French bread or Stoned Wheat Thins. It goes in a hurry!

Thanks DWolf. I will try that recipe. I make a similar spread. My recipe is below.

Ray

Ray’s Smoked Trout Spread

8 to 9 oz. Smoked trout
1 medium / large shallot – minced finely
3 TSP. horseradish
3 TBS sour cream
½ TBS Hellmann’s mayonnaise
3 TSP. Pommery style mustard
1 TSP. Worcestershire sauce
dash or two of hot sauce
Salt and pepper to taste

Note – add a bit more mayo or sour cream if you want a different consistency.

Remove skin from trout and finely mince in food processor.

Mix all ingredients together and serve on crostini or crackers.

I'm assuming you could probably sub in Salmon instead of trout? Although the cooking time might vary depending on the thickness of the salmon.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">assuming you could probably sub in Salmon instead of trout? Although the cooking time might vary depending on the thickness of the salmon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jeremy,

Never tried salmon but I'm sure you could give it a go. If you do, let us know how it turns out.

Ray

Jeremy - since the original posting I have indeed made this recipe with salmon.. and you're right, it works great.

The key is to cook the fish just until its done (i.e. it's just turned opaque all the way through), don't over do it or you end up with chewy bits in the spread.

Enjoy!

Back